Thread: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

1. Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

I have a snack machine and am really getting tired of people shaking the thing. Its got to the point I had to put up a vandal proof camera and record the thing, but they STILL do it! I'd rather refund their money back double than them damage my machine.
    Using Phidgets:
    I was wondering if I could use a small x86 thin client I have to make an tilt or vibration - alarm. ideally I'd want this:
    a) detect tilt or vibration to the machine beyond a certain amount
    b) log it
    c) set off a audible alarm (OR sound file from computer!!!! LOL) with relay for so many seconds
    d) optional- use a solenoid to lock vendbay shut until alarm resets

Could I buy a 8/8/8 and a couple of 2 relay boards and a vibration sensor (would that work in this application if I mount it on standoffs to the chassis or would I need the usb accelerometer?).

Two ways I can see to do all this:
    1)USB
    usb accelerometer - $72
    usb 4 relay board - $58

2) analog -
    8/8/8 - $77.60
    dual relay - $18.43
    Vibration sensor x2 - $21.34

Analog would be harder to setup but would be more flexible in the future allowing me to add temp sensors or other analog/digital sensors.

What do you think?

or could I use a mercury tilt switch with a 0/16/16 with relays??
    Last edited by bbsux; 02-20-2008 at 08:54 AM.

2. Re: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

An 8/8/8 with a vibration sensor would probably do the trick, but the accelerometer would be more precise.

I would also recommend mounting a paintball gun on top of the machine to tag anyone who shakes it.
    New to the TR Community? Feel free to introduce yourself and show off your projects!

3. Re: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

An R2D2 taser would definitely be the best solution. The change slot could open up, and then BZZZT!

4. Re: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

I was thinking of getting the lowest amp per shock electric fence and hooking that to the chassis!

5. Re: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

You might be able to sell a product like that to other vending machine operators.

Semicton Guest

Re: Vending machine: Temp/fan and tilt vibration

2) analog -
    8/8/8 - $77.60
    dual relay - $18.43
    Vibration sensor x2 - $21.34

would be cool because in the future you could hook up distance sensor and record if an item dropped while it was being shaked and all sorts of fun stuff.

Thread Information