Thread: Bioloid C programming: including libCM-5.a in makefile

1. Bioloid C programming: including libCM-5.a in makefile

This may seem mundane to experienced programmers, but I am a mechanical engineering student trying to figure out programming the Bioloid robots in C. I know the basics of C programming, but the makefile is a mystery to me. I am using WinAVR to make the program.

I've been following the Robotis Expert Manual and it instructed to include the following lines in the makefile:
    under #additional libraries:
    ROBOTIS_LIB = -lCM-5 -L../../lib
    and under #Linker flags:
    LDFLAGS += $(ROBOTIS_LIB)

I have both the libCM-5.h and the libCM-5.a files, but I don't really know where to put them to make this work. so far I just have them in the same file as the C file "bioloidattempt1." Each time I hit "Make All" it gives me the following:

Linking: Bioloidattempt1.elf
    avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega128 -I. -g -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-adhlns=bioloidmain.o -std=gnu99 -Wp,-M,-MP,-MT,Bioloidattempt1.o,-MF,.dep/Bioloidattempt1.elf.d bioloidmain.o --output Bioloidattempt1.elf -Wl,-Map=Bioloidattempt1.map,--cref -lm lCM-5 -L../../lib
    avr-gcc: lCM-5: No such file or directory
    make.exe: *** [Bioloidattempt1.elf] Error 1
    > Process Exit Code: 2
    > Time Taken: 00:00

If anyone can give me some advice on where to put both files and the code to insert into the makefile, I would appreciate it!

Images

Re: Bioloid C programming: including libCM-5.a in makefile

Quote Originally Posted by tjo5010 View Post
    This may seem mundane to experienced programmers, but I am a mechanical engineering student trying to figure out programming the Bioloid robots in C. I know the basics of C programming, but the makefile is a mystery to me. I am using WinAVR to make the program.

I've been following the Robotis Expert Manual and it instructed to include the following lines in the makefile:
    under #additional libraries:
    ROBOTIS_LIB = -lCM-5 -L../../lib
    and under #Linker flags:
    LDFLAGS += $(ROBOTIS_LIB)

I have both the libCM-5.h and the libCM-5.a files, but I don't really know where to put them to make this work. so far I just have them in the same file as the C file "bioloidattempt1." Each time I hit "Make All" it gives me the following:

Linking: Bioloidattempt1.elf
    avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega128 -I. -g -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-adhlns=bioloidmain.o -std=gnu99 -Wp,-M,-MP,-MT,Bioloidattempt1.o,-MF,.dep/Bioloidattempt1.elf.d bioloidmain.o --output Bioloidattempt1.elf -Wl,-Map=Bioloidattempt1.map,--cref -lm lCM-5 -L../../lib
    avr-gcc: lCM-5: No such file or directory
    make.exe: *** [Bioloidattempt1.elf] Error 1
    > Process Exit Code: 2
    > Time Taken: 00:00

If anyone can give me some advice on where to put both files and the code to insert into the makefile, I would appreciate it!
    I've not programmed the CM-5 using AVR-GCC (I've never actually fired up my CM-5)... but, the -L../../lib means you should have your .a file up two directories in a diretory called lib (.. = up a directory)

-Fergs

3. Re: Bioloid C programming: including libCM-5.a in makefile

Thanks Fergs!
    Actually that helped a lot. I didnt know what that meant, but now that i know i was able to find the file and insert the library. It compiles with no errors now.

Thanks again,
    Trev

Re: Bioloid C programming: including libCM-5.a in makefile

You can also give it an explicit location to start the search for the library from: -L/foo/bar/my/directory/lib
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information