Thread: open source sound identification and location

1. open source sound identification and location

Does anyone know of any open source software packages for picking out particular sounds (Like a beep that happens every 2 seconds) out of a lot of background noise?

Thanks

Re: open source sound identification and location

Quote Originally Posted by Resilient View Post
    Does anyone know of any open source software packages for picking out particular sounds (Like a beep that happens every 2 seconds) out of a lot of background noise?

Thanks
    DTMF would work with background noise (it was designed to do this), I have had it working across a room with a radio switched on at a reasonable level.

Tony

www.conceptioneering.co.uk

3. Re: open source sound identification and location

Unfortunately I don't have control over the sound being emitted. Essentially I know there will be a beep every so often (dont know the frequency of the sound or the frequency of the beeps). I need to be able to figure out (ideally) the direction and intensity of that sound over a constantly running motor.

I was hoping to find some sort of software that could 'learn' the sound of the motors and be able to pick out other sounds.

Re: open source sound identification and location

Naw, too specialized. You need a DSP/FFT library and then learn how to code with it... But motors are pretty much white noise, so you need to get a shotgun mic away from your motors, 'cause filtering them will be rather tough [to pick out random unknown sounds] Realisitically, you need to control your environment better.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

5. Re: open source sound identification and location

Alright, so a possible solution is to land, listen for noise, then go again. So this will eliminate the need to filter the white noise.

Ill be learning as I go. Right now I am not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know a crappy library from a good one. Do you have any suggestions Adrenalynn? It needs to be in C.

Thread Information