Trossen Arduino Top Thread

Thread: Axon Microcontroller

1. Question Axon Microcontroller

Greetings People,

I am a new member to the community and very pleased to to be a part of such a large group of Robotics Enthusiasts. I have been reading some of the threads and see that there are some very tallented people in the community.

My background is in Industrial and Manufacturing plant maintenance where I am an Electrical Maintenance Technician. I have been at it for about 38 years and looking forward to retirement in about...well maybe 10 years the way the Economy is going. My hobbies are Robotics and Music. I play guitar, keyboard, and percussion.

I am in the process of gutting and totally rebuilding a robot with an Engineering student of Stout College for his class project. We are using an Axon microprocessor with a Sabertooth 2 X 10 motor driver board, a 5 sensor line following board, IR distance sensor, and bumper switches. We are done building and now are trying to get the programming done. This is where we are running into trouble. Both of us have had a little bit of programmiong experience but not enough I guess to get these components on speaking terms. The line following board is I2C protocol and I am being told that I need to wire up a circuit of two resistors to the header and connect to two of the Axon's I/O ports and use a technique called bit banging to get the I2C Protocol to work.

If there is anybody out there that knows the Axon and could help us out, I would greatly appreaciate it. I'm about ready for melt-down.

Thank You,

Mike Thomas

Images

Re: Axon Microcontroller

A tutorial on I2C in general: http://robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/u...he_i2c_bus.htm

The AVR used on the AXON has built in hardware I2C, I see that the axon has a (beta) library for I2C http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/...list.shtml#i2c though I've not used the Axon (have used lots of AVRs though).

-Fergs

3. Re: Axon Microcontroller

Thanks Fergs,

I'll take a look at that.

Mike T.

4. Trossen Arduino Thread Banner

Talking Re: Axon Microcontroller

Hello to all Robot enthusiasts,

I am also a new member to the community and very keen to get involved with many projects not only for my own education but so that I can pass on my limited knowledge to others.

My background is 25 years of computer systems and communications with the Royal Air Force. I have a MSc and I am a Chartered Electrical Engineer with the IET. I have many interests but mostly computers, control systems, AI, robotics and astronomy.

I will soon take delivery of an Axon2 and a Sabertooth Dual Motor Controller. I would appreciate any guidance and links to source code available for interfacing these 2 units. Should I use an analogue, PWM or one of the serial data interfaces to control the Sabertooth from the Axon2?

Thanks

Tom Roberts

Images

Hey Tom,
    Which Sabertooth driver are you using? I am not totally sure but I think that there is some example code here, I remember one of the videos for the intro to Axon 2, and he was using serial for that. There is a little chunk at the bottom of the page that I linked that might be helpful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sthmck View Post
    Most misc programs are stored in misc.c (see file for further documentation).
    Control Sabertooth 2x5, 2x10, and 2x25 from Dimension Engineering by serial:

//send command to (motor 1, motor 2)
    sabertooth(60,198);//default at UART2, 38400 baud
    //swap back to your uart here
    Actually this is all that he has on there about the Sabertooth, although there is some other stuff on there that should be helpful.

Thanks Sthmck

I have purchased a Sabertooth Dual Motor 2x10A controller, not the RC verion. As you say there are a few hints for controlling it with the Axon. I am hoping to find a source file that will show any initialisation required and how and when the UARTs should be switched from input to output as I would eventually like to communicate with the Axon by Bluetooth or other wireless protocol from my Windows PC.

I will check all the examples and tutorials etc at SoR as you suggest.

Regards

Tom

9. Re: Axon Microcontroller

Hmmm it appears I forgot to upload my example programs. Its now linked up. The program you're looking for is called Axon_Tank_Demo.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2...b_examples.zip

Thumbs up Re: Axon Microcontroller

Mike T

There is a I2C 101 at this location: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/35

Hope this helps.

Invicta

Thread Information