Thread: semi omnidirectional base

1. semi omnidirectional base

Hey earlier I was looking for slip rings so I could make an omnidirectional base, with each wheel able to rotate for directional changes as well as driving. But then I thought There may be a way get get most of the benefits with a much simpler construction. Have 4 wheels, each driven, pointed 45 degress towards the inside of the base. This way it can go foreward,reverse, left and right, and be able to go over obstables less then half the wheels diameter. It could do the whole diangle thing as well, but only on reasonablly flat surgfaces. I could use differential steering to rotate in place. Here is my first attempt at asci art to show you what I am talking about
    / \

\ /

thats the idea. I may be able to get away with normal wheels instead of omni. WHat do you think?

Images

Re: semi omnidirectional base

There are several ways to do what you want...for example, using servos to rotate the wheel direction so that wheels can point forward or to the side...one method, or using omnidirectional wheels, probably an easier method. if your looking for ideas check out the rovio and tribot. Both of these use three omnidirectional wheels. I would go for 4...probaby make moving omnidirectionally a bit easier to manage and track.

Hope this helps.

DB

Thread Information