Thread: Need brainstorming help

1. Need brainstorming help

I've been trying to figure out a couple of things recently. I thought I'd throw them out there in case anyone has any bright ideas...

1. I have a wheelchair base that I would like to radio control. It has a single motor forwards/reverse control based on a potentiometer.

At the moment I have a servo mechanically connected to it - this works OK, but I would prefer a more solid state approach. Does anyone know of a way to generate an isolated voltage from an RC/Servo style pulse?

2. Even though I have the biggest servo I can find to control steering (front wheel) it's not really enough. I need to replace this with a windshield wiper motor, and some kind of controller. Ideally I want to make a monster servo out of the wiper motor - is there a non microprocessor route to accomplish this?

I was thinking that maybe I could open up an old servo and somehow couple the innards to the motor - I'd need an amp of some kind...

Steve

Re: Need brainstorming help

>> open up an old servo

Which is a microprocessor-route in itself actually.

Naw, you need an MC. Either reading a position sensor, or reading a potentiometer. Or a full fledged computer with an A->D, but that seems a bit overkill.

Are you using one of the gigandoid 12v Vantec servos? They have more torque that just about any wiper motor...
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Re: Need brainstorming help

On 1, it almost sounds like an RC speed control would be the concept of something working, getting a voltage from an RC pulse. Trying to match a speed control to the wheelchair motors might be difficult. Some devices that are for bigger motors include the IFI controllers, the Vantec stuff, and the OSMC, all of which might be capable of the wheelchair motors depending on motor specs.

For 2, there are the ServoCity power gearboxes that add a gear train to a regular servo to get pretty high torque. They also have their linear servos that look pretty strong.

4. Re: Need brainstorming help

Thanks for the ideas. I looked into all the options regarding the 'monster servo' and I've ordered a 13:1 gear box for my titanium hitec servo.

I think this should give the best bang for the buck.

I'll follow up when it arrives with some pictures.

Steve

5. Re: Need brainstorming help

OK, I got the gearbox - modding a 7955 servo is quite possible the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I would recommend getting the servo installed by the servocity.com techs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hWCKVJxHWc"]YouTube - Dalek Steering Servo - revision 223 :-)[/ame]

...and in the Dalek...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9R2JdbIWfM"]YouTube - Dalek Steering Servo Part 2[/ame]

Thread Information