Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: EX-106+/RX-64 Humanoid Robot: Giger

Re: RX-64 Humanoid: Giger

If the hand becomes too destructive, John Connor and the Governator will suddenly appear and assassinate Tybs, snag the hand, and melt it down. So I don't think we have much to worry about.

MSK - not directed at you specifically, but as a general statement:

[RANT ON]

- Now, far be it from me to stifle creativity, but specifically addressing Mech Warfare 2010 -

As has been noted incalculable times (and I was a math major... and I have a really nice calculator... You'd be amazed at the things I can calculate...): this is a "shoot the target on the target-bearing mech" event, not a "squeeze the other mech to death, and/or bore spectators to death by turning it into 'humanoid-kung-fu-part-du'" It's not about squeezing, punching, grinding, sawing, blowing up, torching, squishing, flipping, twisting, bashing, folding, spindling, and/or otherwise mutilating the other 'bot... That's all well covered in other events.

Let's just put it this way: whatever someone is thinking of doing or thinking of worrying about that doesn't involve shooting the freakin' plastic target on the opposing target-bearing robot - stop. Just stop. Seriously. I'm not sure how many different ways the organizers, plank holders, and banner-bearers can say "no", but there's gotta be some finite limit at some point, right? Just two letters in sequence alphabetically, you'd think they'd be easier to remember... "No." [pant pant pant]

How To Win At Mechwarfare: 20 Simple Steps

1. Assemble a true walking 'bot that can handle the payload
    2. Teach it to walk
    3. Teach it to walk untethered
    4. Refine the walking
    5. Integrate the camera and scoring system
    6. Teach it to walk again
    7. Teach it to walk untethered again
    8. Increase the capacity of your batteries
    9. Teach it to walk again
    10. Teach it to walk untethered again
    11. Add a turret and gun(s) - lighter the better
    12. Teach it to shoot with some accuracy
    13. Teach it to shoot with some accuracy untethered
    14. Teach it to walk again
    15. Teach it to walk untethered again
    16. The night before/day of the event when it all blows up, start at step 1.
    17. Discover that your wireless system doesn't work for squat in the noisy RF environment. Tweak and Tune all day.
    18. Finally get everything working the last day/couple matches
    19. Burn up a servo (or three)
    20. Rinse/Lather/Repeat

*** Please note how the only thing that got squeezed, punched, ground, sawn, blow'd-up, torched, squished, flipped, twisted, bashed, folded, spindled, and/or otherwise mutilated was your brain and/or patience [and/or wallet]. Now we can derive the REAL point to the event. It's there to mutilate your brain. Tricky little event organizers!

[pant pant pant]

Ok - I'm done.

[/END RANT]
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Yeah it is worth saying that Giger was built with more than just Mech Warfare in mind, I likely wouldn't even use this type of hand for the competition. It's more of a practice in design and engineering.

Those fingers sure look like double pitch roller chain. It would save you a lot of programming and machining time. Roller chain is pertty heavy, however, and it may not be something you want at the end of a chain of servos.

But plastic or nylon roller chain (such as that from Small Parts) is light weight, flexible, strong, and easy to work with.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Yup, I said that in the beginning of my first 'hand' post. I had originally thought of using the steel roller chain we used to stock here, but 'Lynn directed me towards some neat nylon stuff. Again, the inventor model is more of a proof of concept/theoretical model to help me visualize what I'm working towards.

And a darned fine bit of virtual scale modeling it is, imho.
    I Void Warranties�

Yes, I saw the roller chain reference in your post, that's what I was referring to.

The plastic stuff is cute, but I think it's way too small for Giger. It looks like it only comes in #25 (.25" pitch). That would make each finger in your drawing 3/4" long.

If we scale it against my index fingers, that puts it a few tenths of an inch short to my body scale. Against my pinkies, a couple tenths long. Sounds about right, doesn't it?
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CogswellCogs View Post
    Yes, I saw the roller chain reference in your post, that's what I was referring to.

The plastic stuff is cute, but I think it's way too small for Giger. It looks like it only comes in #25 (.25" pitch). That would make each finger in your drawing 3/4" long.
    I'm not against using 4 segments for a finger either, I'll play around with it and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    If we scale it against my index fingers, that puts it a few tenths of an inch short to my body scale. Against my pinkies, a couple tenths long. Sounds about right, doesn't it?
    I'm not sure that scale is the point, here. Do you want to pick up real world objects ? 3/4" fingers will be limiting in that respect. Plus, Giger's original gripper was much larger than that. I figured that was Tyb's preference.

Thread Information