Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Scoring System Setup

Images

2009 Scoring System Setup

Last edited by lnxfergy; 04-07-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: removing 2009 specific stuff

Images

Re: 2009 Scoring System Setup

Gary, have any more pics of your target plate setup and construction?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mannyr7 View Post
    Gary, have any more pics of your target plate setup and construction?
    Take a look in his gallery: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ga...=3&userid=2033

-Fergs

4. Re: 2009 Scoring System Setup

Out of curiosity, how much current in mA did it consume? (for my bot, anything above 100mA is non-negligible)

Any chance will you use an LDO regulator for next year? (to reduce required battery size to run it)

Keeping the same profile or going smaller? Using smd next year to reduce profile? Whats the height and hole dimensions?

Trying to budget power in my bot for next year . . . and I'm assuming there won't be any significant changes from the users point of view . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by societyofrobots View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much current in mA did it consume? (for my bot, anything above 100mA is non-negligible)

Any chance will you use an LDO regulator for next year? (to reduce required battery size to run it)

Keeping the same profile or going smaller? Using smd next year to reduce profile? Whats the height and hole dimensions?

Trying to budget power in my bot for next year . . . and I'm assuming there won't be any significant changes from the users point of view . . .
    The XBEE is supposed to be about 50mA (but may use up to 300mA during bursts for output). The AVR should only be about 5-10mA, so total should be average under 100mA. The regulator is an LDO (LM2940)

Board size is 2.4" sq, holes in each corner 0.15" in from an edge. Only changes to future revs are a better silkscreen, since we had some issues with the last run. The max height is an upright TO-220 package. In theory you could replace the power regulator with an acceptable 5V source from elsewhere, but you have to verify that it won't dip out and reset the board (which will count as hit against you).

-Fergs

6. Re: 2009 Scoring System Setup

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    The XBEE is supposed to be about 50mA (but may use up to 300mA during bursts for output). The AVR should only be about 5-10mA, so total should be average under 100mA. The regulator is an LDO (LM2940)

Board size is 2.4" sq, holes in each corner 0.15" in from an edge. Only changes to future revs are a better silkscreen, since we had some issues with the last run. The max height is an upright TO-220 package. In theory you could replace the power regulator with an acceptable 5V source from elsewhere, but you have to verify that it won't dip out and reset the board (which will count as hit against you).
    thanks! =)

Probably better/easier to leave as is. But if you ever find yourself redesigning it, at only 350mA peak, a small smd LDO regulator will be much smaller and can easily handle it.

Also, any chance I can get mine without that big blue wire connector?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by societyofrobots View Post
    thanks! =)

Probably better/easier to leave as is. But if you ever find yourself redesigning it, at only 350mA peak, a small smd LDO regulator will be much smaller and can easily handle it.

Also, any chance I can get mine without that big blue wire connector?
    The board was not designed specifically for Mech Warfare, it was my general purpose Arduino-with-motor-driver-and-easy-IO board that we happened to choose to use for Mech Warfare, hence the larger regulator to run sensors/etc. You could desolder the blue terminal blocks.

-Fergs

Images

Can you post a schematic and maybe a volunteer can turn it into a SMD version for those wishing for a smaller profile?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    Can you post a schematic and maybe a volunteer can turn it into a SMD version for those wishing for a smaller profile?
    The schematic is already out there.. but, you have to look at costs here. Running a batch of the boards is no more expensive, but assembly for small quantities is highly expensive. Tyb basically assembled the boards last year at no cost, you can't do that with SMD, most of us don't have a reflow setup just sitting on our desk. Do we want to tell competitors "here, why don't you assemble this itsy bitsy SMD board"...

I'm not sure you can make it much smaller either, sure you can hack off the motor drivers and power circuit, but you have to keep those 1x3 headers for each of your sensors, there is gonna have to be a header for the ISP, switching to a SMD AVR is a fun time too, since now you're responsible for having an ISP to make sure that the chip works before we put the final firmware on it at the show.

Is size really that big of a deal? The friggin target plates are 3x3", I'm thinking only a very serious mechEng is gonna be able to get a super tiny mech to walk and still carry all the stuff it needs (camera/guns weigh quite a bit). Weight of the PCB is nearly negligible, you might be able to shave a whopping 5-10g off by dumping the regulator/unneeded headers, maybe another 1/2g if you were to shrink the size of the board. Of course, you better carry a spare, cause we won't have one, and if you scoring system craps out you're back using a bigger board. I'd guess all told, you'd probably have $100-200 into your "mini scoring 1-off" board and support equipment.

-Fergs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    The schematic is already out there..
    You are right, I apologize, I didn't look in the manual you made.

I wasn't asking so much to "compete" with the through hole solution. I was more asking for my own benefit.

You adapted a generic AVR - Xbee board you made into the target system. I was thinking about making a similar generic AVR - Xbee board, only a little smaller. Not because I am saying your solution is evil and bad, but because I want more SMD design experience really. If I can make a generic AVR-Xbee board that happens to be compatible with the scoring system firmware, I think that could only be a good thing. If needed, I could assemble a few units for competitors at cost (as long as they don't mind their resistors being slightly crooked on the pads :P)

----

Now, I don't know where the 2010 target board discussion is supposed to happen, but, some questions:

1) Is it possible to get the serial interface that was talked about for 2009 in place for 2010? It would be beneficial for mech pilots I think to know not only have they been hit, but from which side. (Or if not serial, three pins for a binary output?)

2) Has anyone looked at these piezos from SFE? I bought a couple, haven't been able to play with them yet, but they look promising for one axis sensing.

Thread Information