Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good Sci-Fi / Robot book to read on the plane?

Images

A good Sci-Fi / Robot book to read on the plane?

Hey everyone,

Yes, I know this is bit off topic, but I was hoping some of you out there could give me some good suggestions.

As most of you know, I'm flying out to RoboGames this week from Chi-Town. It's a moderately long flight (about 4 1/2 hours) so I thought I'd pick up a good book to read. Problem is, I've never been a big book person. Believe it or not, outside of "learning" books (programming, math, electronics, etc.), I've only read a handful of books in my life I'm still blaming my 6th grade teacher for telling me I couldn't do a book report on the horror books I used to love to read, lol!

So anyways, I'm looking for a good book to read on the plane. Something sci-fi and a moderately easy read (I don't want to have to grab a dictionary too, haha).

A little about my interests in this area:

I'm not looking for a huge Stephen King'ish book though. I've always been interested in technology/robots taking over humanity. I'm a huge BSG and Star Wars fan but not too much into into Star Trek. I'm really digging Dollhouse on Fox and am seriously depressed they cancelled Terminator: SCC Any questions, feel free to ask

Thanks!

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

Re: A good Sci-Fi / Robot book to read on the plane?

Personally I'm a big fan of Larry Niven's work (Ringworld etc)
    There's a fair amount of science in his books, explained in more or less laymen's terms. Coupled with the unique settings of his stories I've grown quite fond of learning new things while actually enjoying it!
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Images

Ringworld is excellent! you didn't mention fantasy but I would recommend "The Dresden Files". Tehy are mystery novels set in Chicago. The protagonist is a wizard in the modern world and they are written in the style of the old pulp PI books. Really fun reads and they don't take a lot of dedication.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

I'm definitely a fan of fantasy. My favorites off the top of my head are Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Neverending Story, Princess Bride... I'm sure there's a TON more, but...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm also a huge fan of The Fringe and Eureka on TV and topics that revolve around those series.

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

A short list of my favorites:

Anything by Carol Berg. She is an amazing fantasy author. "Song of the Best" is a stand alone book that is a great read. Any of her other books can be considered great as well. The woman can do no wrong.

Tad Williams: His stuff can be a bit odd but he's one of the better modern fantasy authors. "Otherland" is more sci-fi and is quite good. I highly recommend it. "Otherland" sounds like just your speed given your listed tastes.

Jim Butcher: "The Dresden Files" I mentioned above. This is still my top pick for a light airplane book. Awesome stuff.

Glen Cook: "Chronicles of the Black Company". Dark and twisted. The main characters aren't your typical knights in shining armor. They are mercenaries and it really shows. Really good books but a bit "heavy".

Terry Pratchet: Anything he has ever written is to be cherished.

Neal Stephensen: "Cryptonomicon". If you dig technology then this is a great book. The guy knows his stuff and it really shows in the writing. It centers on computers and cryptography and the search for buried treasure. It's a long book but a must read for any geek. It's one of the few books I've ever finished and thought "That was amazing!".

Stephen R Donaldson: "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". Simply awesome. A leper (as in leperousy) from our world travels into a fantasy realm. It can also get a bit dark and the main character is a bit of an "anti-hero" but they are great books. It takes a bit of dedication to get through them though.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

You missed the most amazing Neal Stephensen book, I've read it literally more than a hundred times - anytime I'm feeling uncreative: Snow Crash.

Snow Crash is a great airplane read...

Agreed on Terry Pratchet and Donaldson.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Yep Snow Crash is good and totally slipped my mind. I also forgot The Diamond Age. It's a truly awesome book.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Age-Illustrated-Primer-Spectra/dp/0553380966"]Amazon.com: The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (Bantam Spectra Book): Neal Stephenson: Books[/ame]
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Another Vote for Snow Crash... that anything from William Gibson, Phillip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly

This is freaky, a lot of common interests. In Junior High I actually called Donaldson when writing a book report on the Thomas Covenant books, was pretty silly of me, but interesting. Lotsa similar interests in TV shows too, BSG, Fringe, Eureka, etc. Looks like time to read some Stephensen and a few others.

Strange note, even though enjoying robots, had not read any Asimov til a few years back, might be an interesting revisit.

That is always a hard question to answer. For me, my favorite authors and books include:

Asimov: Any of the IRobot or Foundation series

James P. Hogan: I especially liked his earlier books, such as the Giants series(Inherit the stars, ...)

Michael Crichton:

Clarke:

Robert J. Sawyer: Current my favorite author. Humonids series, mindsscan, Rollback and the current book I am reading: www:Wake

Kurt

Thread Information