Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roboquad as a mech?

1. Roboquad as a mech?

I have been looking at he roboquad thinking it would make a quick and dirty mod into a working mech. I can find them for about $25 on ebay. My idea is to use the head motion to swivel a gun and a camera if the motors are strong enough ( not sure of that yet) If not a simple pan tilt on the base should work.

The robot does most of the functions I need automatically so all I have to do is produce the IR signals to operate the robot and the unit does it for me. Has fine tuned head movements for aiming. Seems like it could work great for cheap but..... It is also not designed to do any of these things and I would be stressing the motors and even the movement method so not sure if I want to waiste the money on something that will not do what I need.

Does anyone have any experience with this guy?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sourcing-Network-Sales-8039-Robotics/dp/B000OF50M4/ref=sr_1_2/189-2042823-9275122?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246924576&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: WowWee Robotics Roboquad: Electronics[/ame]

Johnny B

Images

Re: Roboquad as a mech?

How heavy will your gun be? The head should hold a camera fine but the weight of the gun might be to much. If you don't put the gun on the head it should hold up fine.
    Dalton Caughell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonbowen234 View Post
    I have been looking at he roboquad thinking it would make a quick and dirty mod into a working mech. I can find them for about $25 on ebay. My idea is to use the head motion to swivel a gun and a camera if the motors are strong enough ( not sure of that yet) If not a simple pan tilt on the base should work.

The robot does most of the functions I need automatically so all I have to do is produce the IR signals to operate the robot and the unit does it for me. Has fine tuned head movements for aiming. Seems like it could work great for cheap but..... It is also not designed to do any of these things and I would be stressing the motors and even the movement method so not sure if I want to waiste the money on something that will not do what I need.

Does anyone have any experience with this guy?

Amazon.com: WowWee Robotics Roboquad: Electronics

Johnny B
    Jes has used a robosapien to build a mech, but basically replaced the electronics. The problem you'll have with IR for control is that it will only be line of site... I'd also be a bit concerned on whether the roboquad's shuffle gait would be able to work with a bunch of extra payload.

-Fergs

Images

Seems like they only problem with its gait would be smaller steps the heavier it gets. I wouldn't expect it to work on carpet or rough train. Inxfergy is right most people take out the original control systems and replace them this would be the more expensive but wiser choice.
    Dalton Caughell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTMAN View Post
    Seems like they only problem with its gait would be smaller steps the heavier it gets. I wouldn't expect it to work on carpet or rough train.
    The gait depends on mega-slippage, as it has no lift-servo.. if you weigh the bot down, you may have no slippage, hence, you won't move in any predictable manner....

-Fergs

And you also have heating as you strain the motor - which, of course, causes failure.

>> most people take out the original control systems

"Most people" being defined as none of the competitors that have ever competed in Mech Warfare.

------------

Hi Johnny B! Welcome to the TRC!

You could certainly give that platform a try - but I suspect it'd be wasted money. The biggest lesson learned this last year, I believe, was torque-to-weight and just how little even the best of the platforms can take.

But robotics is really about experimentation - so experiment (and post your results!) away!
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Images

Most people meant people who hack WoWee robots. Adrenalynn is right your motors would probably fail eventually.
    Dalton Caughell

Images

I have a roboquad and am not that impressed with the possibility if it becoming a mech. The payload required would cause major troubles I think. You can also expect huge problems with the concept of using IR due to line of sight issues and ambient noise. The head doesn't have good enough control to aim a gun so you would need to ditch that and add a real turret.

With that said, I think the roboquad uses the same control algorithms as the robosapien and I have a functioning control scheme working on an Arduino over XBEE. I'd be happy to share the code and give tips if you need but I really think you will be disappointed in it's performance. I still plan on having the Robosapien in the 2010 event (along with a quad).
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

9. Re: Roboquad as a mech?

ROBOTMAN is using a pic of my robot as his avatar . . . I'm both flattered and ready to use my Mech to enforce copyright!

Images

Sorta just thought of something, and don't mean to be a downer...

But isn't the Roboquad technically cam driven?

Thread Information