Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor control

Motor control

Hi everyone,

i am trying to build a motorized robot kind of thing - a few motorized wheels would do the trick i figured.
    the thing is, i have only worked with servos so far. i know for a servo you need a servo controller, but for a motor you need a servo controller and also a motor controller.

but i am looking for something simpler, less accurate, and hopefully cheaper!
    my question is: is it possible to connect a moderate motor in power (such as the lynxmotion ghm 02 http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...mm-shaft-.aspx) to some kind of a simple switch on / switch off, serial-ly controlled board? something simple and cheap that will get the job done on a motor like this, or an even more powerful one!? or is it just a dream......

Images

Re: Motor control

Can you give us a little more info on what you are trying to do? Are you building a small desktop robot or something to take over the world? How much weight do the motors need to move?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Options are wide-open. You can use a simple transistor-relay to switch on the motor through serial port - if you have a true hardware serial port (or one of the newer FTDI usb-serial ones) you can write a tiny program that toggles the Tx pin to turn the motor on/off.

But that's just on / off. With a bit more work you can go full forward/full reverse (another transistor/relay and another serial port pin).

But as Jes said, a little more info could help steer us in the right direction to help you accomplish exactly what you want.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Most anything can be done. The question is: should it? Seriously though - you need to pick up your motors, build-up the base, and just throw a simple power switch on it and see the results of what you're asking for. I suspect you may not be happy with that.
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: Motor control

Would a phidget interface kit 0/0/4 work?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Kit-0-0-4.aspx
    -= Its all about cams and kars =-
    http://www.mycamcar.com

Images

We still don't have enough information to say one way or the other.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Hey everyone, sorry to take so long to reply and clarify my question - it was Canada day yesterday and i was out all day!

i want to build a motorized robot - the whole thing will weight about 10 - 15 pounds. i think the motors i specified earlier up in the post should do the job of spinning the wheels. slowly, but they will get the job done.

i want to do this so that i learn more about switching, and about motors (as opposed to servos)...

so yea, i guess i should be looking at a switching device as sugested by scud or scowby. connecting a motor to a switching device such as the 8/8/8 phidgets i/o (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...Kit-8-8-8.aspx) should do the trick (turning on and off) for motors such as the one i mentioned above? how will i know if a motor is too 'powerful' for this board?

No.

In theory you might be able to get it to move 2mm/sec with 72mm wheels. But that's at stall and the motors are going to burn up. [Assuming 2 motors, 5deg incline max] A little hard to calculate at the extremes of the formulas.

For those motors, you should be considering a 4-5lb robot as max.

But you're going to need to suck it up and buy a motor controller.

And no, that relay board isn't going to give you forward/reverse.
    I Void Warranties�

To give a little perspective..

A standard servo is around 50 oz/in of torque.
    That gearhead motor is 123 oz/in of torque.

I'd not think that a couple of standard servos could move around 15lbs very quickly ( or at all. )

What's the definition of a "standard servo"? Even a little 475HB will do 76+ oz-in. A 645MB is around 133oz-in. And some of the more powerful standard digitals are 333oz-in or more.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information