Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

1. mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

I'm working on a project this weekend and trying to CAD a gun into it. But I can't seem to find weight or dimensions of the *small* airsoft guns you guys used (the ones meant for RC tanks).

Also, how much volume and weight would say ~50 airsoft rounds be?

Hope someone can help!

Images

Re: mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

Rounds are easy: 6mm each (there's gotta be an easy formula for a 3d array of them...), and typically most people are using the .12g weight.

As for the guns, I've found that the weight, minus hoppers = ~100g.

I have a rough Autodesk inventor 3D model of the guns... I could probably export it for you if I know what cad modeling system you are using.

-Fergs

This is from the green Mato Toys tank gun - excluding barrel (since mine are just bic pens...)

These are complex shapes, but hopefully I'll give you enough to do some justice.

Weight: 70-81g (measured 4 guns)

Measurements from a couple guns _roughly_ averaged. These photos are GINORMOUS to preserve detail on both handwriting and gun pics. The gun pics cover-up the measurements, but that's so you can see where the points lie on the gun. Then there's just the measurements separate.

http://www.jlrdesigns.com/4sor/

Weight and size of BB varies by quality, type, and manufacture.

Typically, 6mm (.24Cal), but figure ~6.02 - 6.04mm. From that, you can figure out the volume, I'm sure.

Weight will vary from .12g to .88g. You'll be shooting .20-.24 or so. Nothing too much lighter. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft...nd_their_usage
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

4. Re: mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

Both of you guys are amazing! =)

And actually, I *do* have Inventor. What version you using? (so that I know if its compatible with my v7 at home, or 2010 at work, as v7 can't read 2008 and above)

And two more questions. I know it'll be obvious if I had it in my hands, but I'm still in the design phase so I haven't made any purchases yet . . .

1) What does it take to fire a round? Would say a simple mosfet be all thats needed (single direction motor), or would I need a driver to reverse the motor? Does it have/require position feedback, or does it just relock/reload automatically after rotating a bit? Its just one motor that does it all?

2) How/where do rounds get loaded into these guns? I don't see an 'ammo-in' location =P
    I read something about hoppers, but I also remember seeing gravity feeders, too. Can a feeder be purchased, or should I make one?

thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by societyofrobots View Post
    Both of you guys are amazing! =)

And actually, I *do* have Inventor. What version you using? (so that I know if its compatible with my v7 at home, or 2010 at work, as v7 can't read 2008 and above)

And two more questions. I know it'll be obvious if I had it in my hands, but I'm still in the design phase so I haven't made any purchases yet . . .

1) What does it take to fire a round? Would say a simple mosfet be all thats needed (single direction motor), or would I need a driver to reverse the motor? Does it have/require position feedback, or does it just relock/reload automatically after rotating a bit? Its just one motor that does it all?

2) How/where do rounds get loaded into these guns? I don't see an 'ammo-in' location =P
    I read something about hoppers, but I also remember seeing gravity feeders, too. Can a feeder be purchased, or should I make one?

thanks!
    I'm actually still using Inventor 6.2 cause it runs really well on my laptop http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/da...ntor-part-142/

The motor only runs in one direction, it pulls back a plunger, and then a series of partially-flat gears allow the plunger to be released. I'm currently using an SN754410 to drive the gun since that's what I had on my board, but a mosfet would work as well. Position feedback = sorta. There is a switch that gets hit when the plunger fires the round. As for reloading, as the plunger pulls back, it opens the chamber to let another round in.

The rounds just enter right in the top of the gun, right behind the barrel. Most of us made gravity-feed hoppers out of tic-tac containers (see gdubb's gallery) or end-mill containers (see manny's CLYDE thread).

-Fergs

6. Re: mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

Hmmmm so that gun is ridiculously huge compared to my robot. Or my bot is ridiculously small . . .

Do you guys know if they sell guns smaller than this, or is this the basic size? I'm willing to accept a shorter range . . .

Considering its airsoft and no space is needed for combustion, any reason not to cut off 75% of the barrel?

I think I'll just have to buy a gun and play with a bunch of ideas for ammo feeding. I have a lot of ideas, but worried about jamming . . .

Images

I'm thinking your bot is crazy small.... Don't forget you'll need enough body space to hold your target plates, in such away that they wont collide with your legs...

-Fergs

Images

I have plenty of ideas for small sized weapons, but they involve CO2 which puts me in the hardcore class.

Not a good thing

Then again, chances of making it to the games are pretty slim, so I might as well build a few of these ideas anyway..
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve life, press three" - Alice Kahn

Resistance is futile! (if < 1)

Quote Originally Posted by societyofrobots View Post
    Hmmmm so that gun is ridiculously huge compared to my robot.
    What are you actuating the bot with?!?! Not hobby servos - the gun is < 3 5995's in volume...
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

10. Re: mech airsoft gun dimensions + weight

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    What are you actuating the bot with?!?! Not hobby servos - the gun is < 3 5995's in volume...
    You guys are forgetting I'm a skilled mechanical engineer

The entire robot is designed to work on micro servos, and even smaller DC motors

I made it small to keep the weight low, hence I can use smaller servos, hence smaller batteries, hence everything much cheaper

And I run stress analysis simulations to shave every unneeded ounce of weight off . . . the entire thing currently weighs in at 2lbs and costs ~$800. At least the current design!

Unless I can find a smaller gun, I guess I'll have to redesign it a bit . . .

Thread Information