Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Quad Mech, yay!

1. First Quad Mech, yay!

Hello all,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Vlad, i live in Melbourne, Australia. I've always been fascinated with robots and computers ever since i was fairly young. I never really had the means to build a robot, so i got into cgi and game design. Last term in one of our uni classes the lecturer keep worshiping the arduino as great i/o interface for physical games. A megaduino and 12 servos later and i got half a robot done. Ill add some photos tomorrow.

In the mean time here's a short movie me and a friend did. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-wfeYdXzc"]YouTube - Evolution[/ame]

And the 3d model i used to cut out the templates for the body, witch ill also use to figure out the IK.
    ||
    ||
    ||
    \ /

Re: First Quad Mech, yay!

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

Nicely animated! I suspect you'll find when you go to implement that model in the real world that its long legs supporting the mass off-axis like that will crush your servos.

Have a look around the forum for IssyDunYet and Bhekka - the two first real-world quad mechs that competed in Mech Warfare this year at Robogames.

Again - welcome to the forum!
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Welcome to the forum.

Adren...you forgot squidword and charlie...

Vladpp I think part of what your looking at, and I may be completely wrong are bots like phoenix and IC hex...They use the servo horns as structural elements like your template. This is ok for them because they are relatively light hexapods. There is a lot of weight associated with mech warfare, and the weight is distributed over fewer legs.

Part of it would be supporting the back of the leg so that its not torquing around the servo horn. Another consideration is that the way your servos currently sit they will always have to be working to hold up your robot. Try to find a way to reorient them so that they are more balanced might help with the whole 15 minutes of battery life issue.

Here are links to 2 tutorials on building mechs...probably not what you wanted, but I hope you find all of this helpful.

building a mech using DB's bracket system
    Build your own issy

as for your movie...sweet!

DB

Right you are, DB. Mea Culpa! Sorry!
    I Void Warranties�

5. Re: First Quad Mech, yay!

Very nice robot plans; welcome to the forum

Images

Images

Sure, but has anybody seen that walking while carrying the requisite mech gear?

-Fergs

But even that one has a better chance because this joint is lacking:
    I Void Warranties�

9. Re: First Quad Mech, yay!

First let me clarify that i don't intend on this being able to do anything else besides teach me the basics of building and controlling the robot. Destruction and world domination are optional .

It appears that phoenix weighs 1.644... kg without the batteries. My robot's parts (servos, battery, controller and a 30cm^2 piece of wood prior to cutting) weighed 1.510. The wood has already been cut so i might as well test it and see how/if it performs.

The templates on the metal sheet are for connecting the shoulder servos together.I didn't include it in the design because it was a last minute addition and it was faster to draw it by hand.

Adrenalynn: when you say joint: are your referring to the physical connection between the two servos or the connecting the leg directly to the servo shaft?

I'm talking about having that servo at all.

The weight from the body is pressing down on that point of rotation (joint). Those servos are having to fight to hold the body aloft, and they're not all that helpful since without them you can just swing the foot up and out, then move the leg forward, then swing the foot back in to take the weight.
    I Void Warranties�

Thread Information