Hello ,
    i m confused which mcu to buy .can anyone tell me which mcu to buy

i like axon mcu or roboduiono is aloso kewl
    please tell which controller to chose

Images

Re: MCU/UC

Ok...how about both.

Probably not that helpful huh...

How about you tell us more about what you want to do, and what you already know how to do...What language do you know? or what language are you interested in learning. The more information you give people, the more helpful they can be.

DB

thnx fr the early reply
    well i need a versatile UC which is capable of dng many tasks and cann be used for most of the autonomous or rc operations and i know about basic programming algo like line follow,object avoid or follow,edge follower,victim finder (using colour sensor),and etc .i m very known to java programming learning lang uage and i m now learning c and c++ and it is very easy to lern coz i m known to the functions of it in java.so i need a uc controlled by c/c++ coz it is the most used platform in robotics and i hav also heard about phidgets and parallex and stamp.please tell which is the better of them .thus this is the info which u needed and if u need more info please inform.
    thnx
    -gaurav

Images

Look at the arduino family of microcontrollers. They are based on the Atmel series and have everything you need to get started integrated in the board. They are programmed in C using a series of libraries for the controller that makes stepping into the microcontroller world pretty easy if you already have some C experience.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Thank you for giving us more information.

From what I have heard, I have no experience with this one, the arduino chips are a great starting place. Personally I find I have an easier time staying interested in learning something if I have a project or goal in mind. Are you planning to build anything, or is there a particular project you are interested in doing? If so start a project thread about it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

DB

well i wanna give more info that i m also interested in learning vb(visual basic) and the UC should hav a resonater or speaker or can be connected to it .so my question is, is arduino chips compatible with VB and hav a speaker in it ,well my goal of the bot is making a teacher bot which will hav hands and can conduct many reactions and use voice to to tell about it OR my other project with the board will be bulding my own pet robot(there is a craze of making it ,that's why i wanna also try it out!)i also saw arduino chips are cheap ........so i may also opt for it .
    thnx
    -gaurav

You don't write VB on microcontrollers.

You can put a speaker on an arduino or many other microcontrollers. You'd need to build an audio amp to talk the speaker though. And really you're not going to do much with it.

What it sounds like you're really looking for isn't a microcontroller, but something more like a quadcore PC.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

i hav seen many projects being prorrammmed by visual basic ,so please can anyone tell me a UC which can be programmed by vb and progrmming by it is more interactive and easy (i guess).please tell and i don't need a quadcore pc

Images

I'm wondering if the projects you have seen use VB to speak to a micro controller, or use VB natively on the micro controller...The difference being that the micro controller wouldn't actually be programmed using VB. I for example use an SSC-32 to control my robots. Heck...I don't know what language the SSC-32 uses...I talk to the SSC-32 from a computer.

I'm not really sure this helps out at all.

As for making a robotic teacher...Sounds like a really challenging project. I think Adren's concern is that your going to want the teacher to be able to generate unique answers to questions...which would require some sort of text to speech/Artificial Intelligence software, which would probably not fit on an arduino.

DB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav.p View Post
    i hav seen many projects being prorrammmed by visual basic ,so please can anyone tell me a UC which can be programmed by vb and progrmming by it is more interactive and easy (i guess).please tell and i don't need a quadcore pc
    There are microcontrollers out there that can be programmed in derivatives of the Basic language, but it's not exactly VB. These include: Basic Stamp, Basic Atom, PicAxe to name a few. I'd avoid the Basic Stamp as it doesn't have most features you'd like to see in a uC. Most of these have a GUI code editor environment, but again, it's not VB, it's a special version of Basic for each of them. The arduino on the other hand, is programmed in C -- but it does have a nice little GUI code editor.

However, if you want to generate speech, you are not gonna get very far with just a uC. There are modules out there (speakjet, devantech SP-03) that take serial data and create the spoken voice. They average about $75-100 each (the devantech is all inclusive, although the speaker is a little small/quiet. The speakjet will require seperate amp/speaker). These modules do sound very robotic and typically leave a lot to desire.

If you're trying to get speech recognition (have the robot listen to what you say), you almost certainly will need a PC. There are/were a few modules out there that could be set up do very basic recognition (although they weren't very accurate, and you had a very small vocabulary), I'm not sure anyone still makes such a chip. Again, you'd probably be looking at another $50+ for a recognition chip, if you can get it.

-Fergs

PS. DB, the SSC-32 just takes a serial stream, any language/computer that can open a serial port can talk to the SSC-32.

Thread Information