Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Mech Warfare Hexapod League

Images

Introducing the Mech Warfare Hexapod League

Hey guys!

This is an idea that I've been tossing around for a bit, and really, I can't see any reason why not to go this route. I've decided we're going to open up a Hexapod League for Mech Warfare, to hopefully tap into the crowd that already owns hexapods (myself included). It will be an easy transition to a Mech Warfare ready bot with these platforms, as their payload is significantly higher than that of a quad or biped.

Now, because of these hefty payload advantages as well as increased mobility, Hexapods are going to be in a separate league for the ranked matches. Exhibition matches are of course 'whatever goes' but for the ladder itself, it would be too difficult to balance hexapods vs quads/bipeds.

Hexapods will essentially have the same exact rule set as that of a quadrapod. 4 target panels, etc, however given their design I think it is prudent that target panels be mounted on the turret itself, otherwise we run into the risk of the legs at least partially concealing them.

Anyway, I hope this opens the door to more competitors! Can't wait to see what some people come up with in terms of designs.

I'll have updated rules posted in the near future, just throwing this out there for discussion for the time being.

Images

Re: Introducing the Mech Warfare Hexapod League

Hi,

Sounds like an great idea!
    I saw your thread for about 30 min ago and have been thinking about a very different design for a Mech inspired hexapod, but I'm not sure if I'm able to get all the way from Norway to the Robogames. Would be cool though. There should be some good plattforms in the marked for a Mech-Hex. Their ability to move fast (and stable) in all directions combined with IK body movements and a rotating turret would be cool. One feature that would be awesome to try is a combination of sideways walking in an arc and a rotating turret that keep the weapons on the spot all the time. Hitting a moving target should be much harder.

Anyway, i hope to see some of Phoenix's modified sisters out there

-Zenta

Yeah! Hex-Mechs! That'll be fun! Some thoughts though...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Hexapods will essentially have the same exact rule set as that of a quadrapod. 4 target panels, etc, however given their design I think it is prudent that target panels be mounted on the turret itself, otherwise we run into the risk of the legs at least partially concealing them.
    [1] Where are you going to mount the turret target plate if there IS no turret? Like someone somehow managed to put their guns on the front of the mech?

[2] I can't quite visualize the legs partially concealing target plates. I mean, won't there be a target plate for each and every leg?

Just thinking.
    Last edited by MSK Mech Commander; 08-04-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Revision

Images

Due to technical constraints we're sticking with 4 target panels total, even for Hex-Mechs.

The target plate mounting is just a suggestion, obviously common sense and fairplay will be a factor here. If they can be mounted on the outer 4 legs without constricting movement, fine by me.

Cool, good to know.

Images

Check out this cool animated hexapod:

-to be inspired from when designing your own Hex-Mech.
    Another cool video of the same hex:

Something like that would be awesome!

-Zenta

7. Re: Introducing the Mech Warfare Hexapod League

Excellent idea, especially for those of us just getting into the hobby.
    Prae

Maybe like Mechadon http://homepage.mac.com/roninsfx/Tea...Theater16.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8ne4zSCY0"]YouTube - Rammstein vs Mechadon[/ame]

BillB Guest

Great idea. Although I am based in the UK.

Are there any UK hexapod/Quad owners that would be interested in a local UK based Hexapod/Quad League?

Infact I live quite close to an international airport with regular
    (& cheap) flights to most of Europe - so it could even become a
    European league.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Now, because of these hefty payload advantages as well as increased mobility, Hexapods are going to be in a separate league for the ranked matches. Exhibition matches are of course 'whatever goes' but for the ladder itself, it would be too difficult to balance hexapods vs quads/bipeds.

Just for clarification, the Hex-Mechs will be under the same rules as the Airsoft League, right?

Thread Information