Thread: Hardware sourcing

1. Hardware sourcing

Hello all,
    This is my second post, but my first official thread, so here goes...
    Probably one of the most frustrating things for me here in Australia is the lack hardware availability.
    You'll probably laugh, but I am seriously having a really hard time in finding Hex standoffs at the length I need - M3 40mm (sorry it's in metric).
    They go by different names I've found: hex coupler, hex standoff, PCB spacer, etc.

Anyhoo, I noticed the Pheonix Hexabot uses similar sized spaces for the top and bottom plates. That's probably ideal for what I need - i will need them as seperators for the track assembly of my J5. I have pulled apart a Heng Long model tank for the tracks, drive sprocket, motors and speed coontroller.
    I will then cut the track pod plates out of some modellers ply I have.
    It's just those dang Hex spacers!
    Here in Australia, I have tried Dick Smith, Coventry fasteners, and Jaycar. Whilst Jaycar do have Hex spacers, the longest is 25mm.

My net searches may have been using a different term to what they might come under. I have even searched PC case modding sites, to no avail..
    Can anyone tell me of an internet source that dispatches internationally, with metric supplies?

Cheers

Images

Re: Hardware sourcing

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-standoffs/=33sjap

Not sure if that is what you are looking for...but if so, glad I could help.

DB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-standoffs/=33sjap

Not sure if that is what you are looking for...but if so, glad I could help.

DB
    (nothing against you DB)

When I tried to ship to Canada last year (it was written on the site that they did ship to Canada) they told me that it was to complicated to ship, so they wouldn't. Just the fact that it's written that they will but they don't made me lose so much time (and I was very frustrated). You can always ask if they ship to Australia.

Good luck finding hardware.

Sam

4. Re: Hardware sourcing

Thanks for the replies.
    I pinged McMaster an email to see if they ship to Australia. I'll probably find out Monday.
    Yes, Darkback2, that was what I was after. Thanks very much.
    I'll have to think of some other stuff I might need to justify shipping that sort of distance!
    We have a similar company here in Australia, called RS, but they only do corporate sales.

Images

I know someone else was doing it for someone in australia...but if it becomes too much of a problem maybe you could ship it to someone in the states, and have them drop it in the mail for you.

Seams possible.

DB

Images

Can you go the other way and use threaded rod running through an unthreaded spacer to make a male to male standoff? Something like that may be easier to find in your end of the world.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

7. Re: Hardware sourcing

Jes1510, yeah, I have that option as a backup. Bought some Dubro gear, just incase the Hexes are not possible to source. Not ideal, but I'll make do.

EDIT: DB, is the person you are referring to a member? If possible could you please forward on this thread to them. I know I'm asking so much so soon, but as far as robotics are concerned, I feel Australia is still "colonial"...
    Last edited by astrospud; 08-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Thread Information