Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: First ever project :)

Re: First ever project :)

I've been doing my research, and have come up with a few different options for my bridging
    Well first up i found these:
    http://store.freenet-antennas.com/pr...roducts_id=305
    The ultrawap N300's if i could get a pair of these tlking and jack on a couple high gain antenna's i could be getting massive range. They have a glowing reputation in all the online forums i checked.
    The problem i saw with them was that there might not be enough ports on the bridging unit, but i could just buy like an 8 port gigabit switch and stick it on?
    Also for greater range do i need to get gigh gain antenna's for both points or just the AP on my operating end?

Another option i found is quite similar using these:
    http://www.trendnet.com/langen/produ...24&status=view
    I can set these in bridge mode and just whip an 8 port gigabit swich on the rovers end.

Both of those options are going to be cheaper than the dir 855.
    Do you think these options will work?
    My favourite is the Ultrawap option, i could get a pair for around $200

zoomkat Guest

If you get stuck on the high end, I got a Netgear WGR614 at Walmart for $40 and it has a bridging mode.

I checked the specs on that router and it says that it is not compatible in bridging mode, I could have just checked a dud site though.
    The problem is that with the cheap routers i probably wont get a decent range or throughput to be able to process the data i intend to send and receive.

zoomkat Guest

The below is what is in the router setup. The repeating mode should be the bridge mode. Also below is the type of netbook setup I suggested. Now most netbooks have cams built into the lid, so you could drive around and have video/audio video conferencing with the people you meet. Then when not doing bot stuff, just unplug the netbook from the bot and carry it to the local coffee shop for some casual net surfing.

http://documentation.netgear.com/wgr...4v9-06-15.html
    http://documentation.netgear.com/wgr...8-01/index.htm

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5747

Wireless Repeating Function Settings Help
    Enable Wireless Repeating
    Enable this if you wish to use either Bridge mode or Repeater mode, and then select the desired mode for your environment:
    Wireless Repeater
    In this mode, the WGR614v9 will communicate ONLY with another Base Station-mode Wireless Station. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the other Base Station-mode Wireless Station in the field provided. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this communication.
    Wireless Base Station
    Select this only if this WGR614v9 is the "Master" for a group of Repeater-mode Wireless Stations. The other Repeater-mode Wireless Stations must be set to Wireless Repeater mode, using this WGR614v9's MAC address. They then send all traffic to this "Master", rather than communicate directly with each other. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this traffic.
    If selected, you must enter the MAC addresses of the other Access Points in the fields provided.

5. Re: First ever project :)

You would have to invest in some serious equip. I'm a ham ( ameteur radio enthusiast for you who dont know what i mean ) and turst me when I say that video tjakes up big time bandwidth, if you have some bucks ( i mean like US$200 ) you could buy a low frequency radio and operate over htat. Thats only anolog, you could invest in a digital bideo converter if you cant afford the low freq radio. ANd by the way, dont try transmiting colour signals, its ludacrice. Buy a small black and white camera, it will take less bandwisth

Sorry i havent updated you in so long, I've been very busy with school and such.

Here is where i am at:

I have bought HSP Rock Crawler base -
    http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/H94883.htm
    I was testing it by itself and blew out the steering servo and ESC, but have ordered in new ones, should get here next week.

I have two WRT54GL routers
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardwa...w&model_id=452
    I plan on updating the firmware on these routers so that they bridge together and i can control the ports on the router on the rover through my laptop.

Connected to the router on the rover will be my arduino and ethernet shield.
    http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield
    I need to program this to control the steering servo and ESC.
    I havent started with the programming yet, if any of you could give me any help or show me the right direction to start i would greatly appreciate it! I would like to control this from the keyboard or the mouse, or possibly even a joystick.
    Also from the router will be connected a camera, i havent bought this yet but i should be getting it soon, it has in-built PTZ and i should be able to plug it into the router and just install it and be controlling it from the laptop.

Power -
    The rc base has its own 7v power source, my arduino platform also has a 9v battery clip to power it.
    I am going to buy a 12v lithium ion battery to power the router on the rover and then have a voltage regulator circuit to drop the voltage to 5v for my camera.

So on the hardware level i am pretty set, however i would really love some guidance on the software aspect.

Also where has Adrenalynn gone? she was a great help in the orignal design of this project.

Thankyou for any replies,
    Chris

zoomkat Guest

I just got an arduino with an ethernet shield this past week. have it setup behind my router and am trying to find out how to slice and dice the get strings in C programming before sending them out to my ssc-32.

If any of you are wondering how it turned out I will post some pictures here for you now. I was quite happy with the end product considering it was my first project.

Congrats, Chris!
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Congrats! That's a nice, clean build. You should be proud!
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information