Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Arbotix Thread

Images

Re: The Ultimate Arbotix Thread

Stobs, ArbotiX is an Arduino specifically purposed for our robot needs.
    Plus ArbotiX comes with an excellent support.
    Sometime scary excellent - like you just got one within 6 minutes.
    Hopefully we will not burn out Fergs like this.

1) Can I use the two 1A motor drivers to run two tank guns off of the arbotiX while using the Pololu VNH2SP30 motor driver with two motors hacked from Ryobi 9.6v drills to power the left and right caterpillars?

2) How do I also add two Defender guns to the mix (as they relate to the arbotiX - and the four guns in total would likely be for competition(s) other than Mech-Warfare)?

I'm not necessarily looking for specific connection/coding information here, but any referrals to possibilities, pitfalls, products and/or other advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Ty, Fergs,

Are either of you planning on bringing arbotiX boards/kits to the show for sale?

I'm referencing the "draft2-1" version of the arbotiX's User Manual, so please advise me if there's a more up-to-date version, thanks!

Just making sure I'm understanding the manual correctly: the two analog and digital port headers (pinned as 3x8* connections each), are 5V regulated, while the PWM hobby/non-Dynamixel headers (pinned presumably as a 3x2 connecter even though it looks like a 2x3 connector to me) are not, being as they're connected directly to the Bioloid bus?

Regards

*I don't know the technically correct label for this - it looks like a set of eight connectors with three pins each to me.

Images

I find V0.9 for Rev A boards on the Vanadium website. Correct, there are 8 sets each of analog and digital pins which use standard 3 pin servo-style connectors and are regulated at 5V. And there are a pair of 3 pin servo headers, marked "servo", "B" and "A" These are unregulated and will use whatever source you provide to the Bioloid bus. All grounds are the pin farthest away from the Atmel chip.

Thanks for your reply mannyr7, very much appreciated.

That's what the first page of my .pdf says, so glad we're on the same page there! Sorry for asking such an obvious question, I'm just so new at this I don't want to melt something down and say "I should've asked!" afterwards.

Regards

Before I potentially fry a perfectly good piece of equipment...

1) The voltage rating of the Bioloid bus is listed as 7-12v in the arbotiX manual; my 3S 11.1V LiPo is now fully charged and balanced to 12.6v. Is it safe to connect my battery as is, or do I need to discharge it down to 12v?

...also...

2) Since I'll be using the USB AVR Programmer, rather than an FTDI cable[,] does the FTDI Reset Enable jumper need to be set as disabled?

Regards

[Edit: punctuation]
    Last edited by Stobs; 06-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stobs View Post
    1) The voltage rating of the Bioloid bus is listed as 7-12v in the arbotiX manual; my 3S 11.1V LiPo is now fully charged and balanced to 12.6v. Is it safe to connect my battery as is, or do I need to discharge it down to 12v?
    You'll note that the Bioloid Premium now ships with a 3S lipo, so Robotis doesn't even pay attention to the 7-12V rating.

2) Since I'll be using the USB AVR Programmer, rather than an FTDI cable - does the FTDI Reset Enable jumper need to be set as disabled?
    Nope, you can leave it in. The jumper won't do anything unless an FTDI cable is attached.

-Fergs

Thanks for your reply Fergs, very much appreciated.

Good to know, didn't want to smoke a Dynamixel, nor drive myself crazy over a simple jumper setting - had that been the case.

Regards

I'm unsure as to how to connect the USB AVR Programmer to the arbotiX ("ArbotiX"?).

It has a mostly gray ribbon cable - with one wire on the edge insulated in a red color. The arbotiX ISP header has a hole through the board nearest one pin, being the one nearest to the Bioloid headers.

Is the AVR Programmer connected so that the "red" wire oriented towards these headers, or does it not matter?

Regards

Thread Information