Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomous Mech Thread

Autonomous Mech Thread

Hi,

I know several of you are interested in building an autonomous or semi-autonomous Mech for the upcoming RoboGames in April.

I am starting this thread to have a place for discussions about challenges/ideas/solutions in and around the problem of how to build an autonomous robot that can compete.

I do not have a name yet but plan to enter a fully autonomous biped mech using a Lynxmotion BRAT.

Here is a youtube link to a Lynxmotion Rover that I put a CMUcam2+ head on that does color tracking. That work is the basis for the auto targeting system that I am developing for the competition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJwIFqNJMM"]YouTube - Lynxmotion Rover Robot autonomous tracking RC car[/ame]

My goal is to enter a fully autonomous mech but if that proves to be too challenging then I may have to modify the design to be human piloted with auto-targeting (and manual firing).

My personal passion is developing fully autonomous machines that can work in a wide range of envioronments.

Mark

Re: Autonomous Mech Thread

I would like this to be a thread where everyone feels comfortable sharing ideas with no fear of being judged! "stupid ideas" someimes pave the way to great innovation!

X-BRAT Progress

I have made good progress on X-BRAT. Here is some video. I have him shooting now but don't have a video of that yet...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDBkssDnkEk"]YouTube - XBRAT3 Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot Build Progress[/ame]
    Last edited by xdream; 11-02-2009 at 10:26 AM.

4. Re: Autonomous Mech Thread

Pretty impressive - nice to see a biped mech walking...

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

5. Re: Autonomous Mech Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xdream View Post
    I would like this to be a thread where everyone feels comfortable sharing ideas with no fear of being judged! "stupid ideas" someimes pave the way to great innovation!
    By the way, there's absolutely no need to feel that way. I'm all about autonomous robots, and if I ever had time, I would definitely be building an autonomous mech.

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Thanks!

Now that I have the mech shooting and walking (you can see him fall over at the end of the video but I was just goofing around) the fun part of the autonomous programming begins.....

Mark

Looking good! Glad to see mechs starting to come together

First Video of X-BRAT shooting!!!

Here is a short video X-BRAT shooting...I just got the guns hooked up yesterday. This is just a demonstration video not intended to model combat!!!

Mark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfX-o_YM_mw"]YouTube - X-BRAT Shooting at close range Lynxmotion Mechwarrior Mech Warfare Guns Fire[/ame]

Images

Re: First Video of X-BRAT shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xdream View Post
    Here is a short video X-BRAT shooting...I just got the guns hooked up yesterday. This is just a demonstration video not intended to model combat!!!

Mark

YouTube - X-BRAT Shooting at close range Lynxmotion Mechwarrior Mech Warfare Guns Fire
    Great to see you making progress!

Thanks Andy...I can't wait until I try to hit targets autonomously...then moving targets.....coming soon! Hope this week.

Thread Information