Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioloid Boards Again

1. Bioloid Boards Again

Hi Everyone,

I finally have some time again, so I'm going to start building Bioloid boards again.

If anyone has any requests for any new board ideas, please post them here.

One new board I'm thinking about is an AX/RX bridge. That will allow you to drive a mix of AX-12 and RX-series servos from an AX bus. This board will allow you to drive the bus from either direction (RX master or AX master), and will allow you to power the "other" bus separately.

Any other ideas?

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

2. Re: Bioloid Boards Again

Heys,
    Well, i recall seeing a board on some japanese page, wich had ports for all robotis servos, but in effect that caused the board to be kind of crammed, maybe you could think of some form of connection cable where the 'end user' can just plugin the servo ports needed (if thats in anyway possible) would be win imo.

Atm im covered though, using an Arbotix, and i cant afford better servos yet either, i will definitely need something like this in the future though (for a v2 or maybe v3 of the bot im making now)

Think about the cable port thing, i see it like theres a large row of pins on one side of the board, and u can put 6(?) pin plugs on them, and u get these cables with it that have sayd plug on one end, and 1 (or maybe more, 2, 3?) servo sockets on the other end.

If you could; how about make it possible to use the same row of pins for sensors/sensor cables?

Just my 2 cents, i love to see what you come up with, i love all projects i've seen from you, so i have high hopes

Images

Re: Bioloid Boards Again

could you post a link to your list of existing boards John? I am really really really interested in a couple of things.

DB

4. Re: Bioloid Boards Again

I haven't updated it yet, but here they are:

http://www.huvrobotics.com/shop

I'm not going to do the IMU-01 anymore, since I'm building my own custom sensor board. I will probably reduce the price on the IMU a bit, since the sensors themselves are cheaper now.

- Jon
    Last edited by JonHylands; 10-22-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Ok...A few things I would really appreciate...

One would be an interface from the serial bus for a standard servo

Another would be a board that takes the place of the seral cable...as in a wireless interface ala zigbee but that works the same as the current cord plug in...

so maybe a xbee - bioloid board.

DB

6. Re: Bioloid Boards Again

darkback2,

The first one is relatively easy - the only real trick is providing enough power at a low voltage (6.0 volts) for the servo(s) from the bus power (9-12 volts). I'm a big fan of switching regulators, so I'll have to do a bit of research to figure out what to use. Assuming a single servo is going to pull less than an amp, we could use the Dimension Engineering regulators for that.

For a single servo, use this: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SWADJ.htm

For multiple servos, or a single high-current servo, use this:
    http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SWADJ3.htm

For the second board, are you talking about a board that goes inline on the bus, and transmits the bus wirelessly in both directions? So, for example, you could use this device with my USB Bus board, or a USB2Dynamixel, and have a wireless robot that is PC controlled.

Wouldn't it be easier to use something like an arbotiX?

- Jon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to use something like an arbotiX?

- Jon
    Yeah...but I was hoping to stick with the stock bioloid software. More like just making the bioloid wireless and PC controlled in a meaningful way...probably just being lazy is all.

DB

8. Re: Bioloid Boards Again

Okay, so you just want a simple way to make the bus be wireless, with something that you just plug in and it works. That seems reasonable...

- Jon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    Yeah...but I was hoping to stick with the stock bioloid software. More like just making the bioloid wireless and PC controlled in a meaningful way...probably just being lazy is all.

DB
    So then... the Bioloid zigbee connector, sold by Robotis/Trossen?

-Fergs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonHylands View Post
    Okay, so you just want a simple way to make the bus be wireless, with something that you just plug in and it works. That seems reasonable...

- Jon
    I think the issue is throughput. DB mentioned an XBEE, but they'll top out at 250k. A wireless adapter that can do 1MBps reliably is probably not gonna be cheap -- hence the idea of either an arbotiX or a zigbee-enabled CM5/510 -- the micro on board that handles some stuff up front is kinda important given the speed you need to control 18+ servos with syncwrites at 30hz (for smooth motion).

-Fergs

Thread Information