Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using the Serializer with Xbee WiFi

Re: Using the Serializer with Xbee WiFi

It's your project, and you're absolutely going to do what you think is best for it and you. You asked for advice, so I'm just offering up the advice that you identify and shoot the little problems rather than move them around and making them harder to see and harder to shoot through more layers of abstraction and complication.
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Being a beginner the less coding I have to do the better not having to touch the serializer programing wise is a big plus for me. Also I really want to use the base and I'm not sure how well this controller would interface with that? How well dose this board interface with I2C? Serializer made it sound like interfacing with all external devices through I2C would be easy. I'm just worried about ending back up where I am right now with a serial program that wont work with python "you probably remember my long thread about serial problems with python" I think that might still be an issue. Knowing that the problem cant possibly be with the controller will make future serial development easier.
    Dalton Caughell

Without programming, on any platform, it's going to sit there like a bump on a log.

The problem can't possibly be with the controller. That's a given for either one. I sincerely wish you the best of luck with either though!
    I Void Warranties�

Given that you don't want to do any programming, maybe this is a better platform for you to start with?
    I Void Warranties�

Images

Its not that I don't want to do programing I'm certainly passed that stage in learning robotics. But being a beginner every line of code I have to type seems to make the program less reliable. I agree now that I need some sort of micro controller with a wireless interface to efficiently run my robot. However the one you recommended has far too few inputs and outputs and the serial lines are dedicated to the Xbee and a biloid controller. I need something with many I2C ports and analog in and outs.
    Dalton Caughell

"Many I2C ports" - you mean one i2c bus, right? Like the Serializer, the arbotiX, the Arduino, the Sanguino, or any other controller that has i2c?

And no, the serial lines aren't _dedicated_ to the bioloid bus. The pins are right there.

And if you need more than 8 analog, you're really going to be disappointed with the Serializer's 5 analog in, 0 analog out...
    I Void Warranties�

@ROBOTMAN
    Generally, having a lot of IO is a good thing and programming is large part (very large part) of DIY robotics.

Images

I understand now that I need to program some sort of microcontroller in order to control my efficiently the way that I want to. My new question would be what microcontrollers have a simple language, can easily control servos, have lots of inputs and outputs, and at least one i2c port? Also could you use threading with a microcontroller?
    Dalton Caughell

Images

What about this controller based on the ATMega1280? http://www.robotshop.us/dfrobot-atme...ontroller.html
    Dalton Caughell

Images

No you cannot use threading. A poor little micro can only do one thing at a time. The closest thing would be a Propellor chip that has mulitple cores in one die. I think the XMos is similar but have never messed with either.

I'll also second the Arbotix. What does the Arduino Mega give you that you need that the Arbotix board doesn't have?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information