Thread: Rocket Science Soldering/Splicing Examples

Rocket Science Soldering/Splicing Examples

Not quite a tutorial, but a excellent link to soldering and splicing components as rocket scientists would have it. (Yep, it's from NASA)

Enjoy:

http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp...20Splices.html

-Migs
    "The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning" Bruce Lee - Jeet Kune Do
    "One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer. " G. E. Lessing
    "Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters." - Margaret Peters
    "We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released."-Jean Houston

2. Re: Rocket Science Soldering/Splicing Examples

nice find, thanks

Re: Rocket Science Soldering/Splicing Examples

Some good tips, some typical NASA silliness.

Of course, we need to live in this century too: http://www.infidigm.net/articles/solder/
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

very neat!

5. Re: Rocket Science Soldering/Splicing Examples

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Some good tips, some typical NASA silliness.

Of course, we need to live in this century too: http://www.infidigm.net/articles/solder/
    I do a lot of surface mount work, and for one-offs those techniques work fine. For small scale production (where you're making more than say 5 or 10 of a given board), use a stencil from Pololu - they are cheap, work great, and allow you to make board after board with very little mess and trouble.

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

I've liked this video explanation, but have not put it into practice yet :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY"]YouTube- Surface Mount Soldering 101[/ame]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by robologist View Post
    I've liked this video explanation, but have not put it into practice yet
    Yeah, I used that video to solder my board for my Mini-sumo. After a bit of practice, it works great. I managed to solder everything with a 1/32 inch screwdriver tip.

Having soldered thousands of SMT boards in the past this video uses the same technique we use with a few exceptions. We used a different soldering tip which used a flat coined tip at an angle that worked extremely well for all types of soldering from 2225 caps to fine pitch QFPs. The needle point soldering tips tend to overheat, and heat transfer is poor for components with moderate sized pads. We used High temp solders such as SN63, SN96 (My screen name) and HMP solders.

Great video.
    ________
    volcano digital
    Last edited by SN96; 01-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Images

Wierd...for some reason I always thought your screen name had something to do with Super Nintendo.

Now see - I think he missed the mark on flooding. I agree that wicking is painful and illadvised. But there's a reason we call it "flood and suck". Using a solder sucker, especially a rework sucker, makes flood-and-sucking those big chips go with almost no effort. It's easy for the novice and you don't really need to _work_ under magnification, using it to check the work afterwards.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Thread Information