Thread: Accelerometer Controlled Marble Maze

Images

Accelerometer Controlled Marble Maze

The Central Illinois Robotics Club was invited to demonstrate at the Illini Boy Scout Jamboree event on September 12th and I wanted to make something special for the scouts to play with. Based upon previous demonstrations our club has done in the past, I knew that a hands-on project would be very popular with visitors and I began brainstorming ideas and decided upon an accelerometer-controlled marble maze.

Accelerometers can be demonstrated in many exciting ways and kids will likely be drawn to a demo considering the similarity to popular applications such as the Nintendo Wii. The goal of this project was to create an exciting game visitors can play while learning about sensors, microcontrollers, and hobby robotics.

Check out the webpage below for a complete description of this project including pictures, useful links, videos, and the Basic Atom Pro code currently being used.

http://sites.google.com/site/teamtobor/marble-maze

Also you can find the most recent video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcj9Sdiohog

The marble maze was a big hit at the Boy Scout event and I also demonstrated the maze at the recent iHobby Expo show in Chicago. It has proven to be a very effective tool for getting people excited about robotics technologies and their endless applications.

Dan Toborowski
    President
    Central Illinois Robotics Club
    www.circ.mtco.com

Re: Accelerometer Controlled Marble Maze

That's really excellent. The gumball prize is a nice touch. It looks very professional, too. Well done!

Images

Accelerometers are definitely a great way to introduce kids to robotics. Nice work Dan! I'm with Adam too, nice touch with the gumball prize

Too bad I missed the demo @ iHobby

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

Images

I finished making some upgrades to my marble maze for the recent 2010 iHobby Expo. Version 2.0 includes a more robust gumball delivery system and a Lynxmotion robotic arm which resets the marble before each game and also delivers the gumball prize directly to the player. All of the features have been combined into one large assembly using MicroRAX miniature t-slot. Check out the video below and be sure to visit my site for more information as it becomes available.

http://sites.google.com/site/teamtobor/marble-maze

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ucwJMDe7o"]YouTube - Marble Maze V2.0 11/6/10[/ame]

Dan Toborowski
    President
    Central Illinois Robotics Club
    www.circ.mtco.com

Images

This is both a really well documented project, but also a cool project to boot. I really like how "complete" the whole package is.

DB

6. Re: Accelerometer Controlled Marble Maze

This is pretty neat. The control is also quite sensitive. Better than the iPhone ?

One problem building should an elaborate project is once you are bored should you dismantle it?

Images

The amount of mechanisms on that is intense. Awesome job.

Thread Information