Thread: Automatic Door Opener

1. Automatic Door Opener

Just recently I picked up on Craigslist a mini Monster Energy Drink fridge, and have decided to possibly focus my college senior project around it. Ultimately, I would like to create a robot to fetch my drinks and bring them back to the couch for me, but first, as my robotics experience is still minimal, I have decided to initially build a system that when activated, opens the door to the fridge for me. I feel like using an electric linear actuator for this would be my best bet, however I am unsure of the best way to set this up (such as how to connect the fridge and fridge door with the actuator). I would appreciate any ideas anyone has on this...or even if you think I'm somewhat on the right track...

Thank You,

Justin

Re: Automatic Door Opener

Honestly, for a senior project, I would try to think of some other ideas before moving forward with this one. The whole "robot that gets me a drink" thing has become a cliche, I've never seen it done well, and I personally don't find it to be that interesting anyway.

There are so many interesting things that can be done with robotics technology.

3. Re: Automatic Door Opener

Make the fridge itself be the robot :P

(if u dont understand the fun in the above video, its related to this)

Re: Automatic Door Opener

I love this one :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHsVjG9LyXo"]YouTube- Beer Robot[/ame]

Another favorite, machines made by Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgQFOOr7ug"]YouTube- 7up commercial - improved vending machines[/ame]

5. Re: Automatic Door Opener

If you're looking for something interesting to do with your fridge, why don't you turn it into a robot?

Add some wheels or tracks to the bottom, put some sensors on it, and have it come to you. Like the 7up commercial, but on a more realistic scale...

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Thread Information