Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issy2: A Mech

Images

Issy2: A Mech

I finally started assembling Issy2 yesterday. It's not 3 weeks to RoboGames, but I figured I'd get a bit of a head start this time around (Robogames is just about 4 months away, so I have like 5X as much time to build Issy2 as I had to build Issy!). The body is now assembled, I'll be adding mech gear over the coming weeks.

Issy2 isn't all that different from IssyDunnYet, most of the changes are in software. Changes for this year include:

• Bigger body, IssyDunnYet was just too small to fit those target plates on easily, it limited his range of motion. The body this year is about 6" long and 5" wide.
    • Back to 3DOF legs. Changes in software make this possible. Issy2 has a full IK solution, and is doing interpolation in the ArbotiX, thus the servos get full power (Last year, I was effectively running my servos at 1/3-1/2 power due to a mis-understanding of the internal AX-12 software).
    • With IK, and the gait engine, I'm hoping to double Issy's burst and turning speeds over last year.
    • Better software for the Trendnet camera is a priority. I was using a very poor frame grabber last year, which caused some interesting side effects.
    • Better fine grained control. This is probably the most important part, especially for targeting.
    • If time allows, implement fly-by-wire. I envision a number of Sharp IR sensors helping Issy2 avoid obstacles.

I'm not entirely sure what his firepower and upper body will look like. I've got a hacked defender sitting on the desk, but I may end up using 2 tank guns instead.

Here's a video of Issy2 walking around, no mech gear yet though:

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 12-20-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Images

Re: Issy2: A Mech

Hi,

Great work on the different gait and kinematics!
    The body rotation seemed a little bit rough though, but overall very impressive!
    What sort of remote controller are you using? A joystick connected to a PC?

Looking forward to see some mounted gear.

-Zenta

Images

Here's the CAD models I'm working off of for this build. The black squares around the bottom edges are the target panels. The target transponder would be mounted behind the front panel. A single defender gun, camera, and arbotiX are located on the tilt servo for the head.

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 12-23-2009 at 09:18 PM.

To think Rodney Brooks from MIT was doing this kind of work 15 years and it was considered cutting edge
    most of his insects were built around the FSM engine ( Finite Sate Model)
    his belief was intricate designs of behaviour can occur if you have several layers of simple finite state rules layered over each other....
    and now we are using such designs for play things....amazing

excellent work - love the design
    Last edited by lildreamer; 12-20-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Images

Nice work Fergs! I love to see how a good robot evolves into the next iteration.

Do you have an estimated final weight for Issy2?

Noog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noog View Post
    Do you have an estimated final weight for Issy2?
    Legs + center chassis plates = 1090g
    Battery = 158g
    Tilt Servo + brackets = 81g
    Defender Gun = 267g
    Trendnet = 87g
    ArbotiX = 49g
    Scoring system (4 plates + MINI) = ~100g

I figure about 1832g, I figure another 150-200g or so for wiring, lexan, and turret framing. So, somewhere in the 2kg, 4.5lb range? It's heavier than the final 2DOF IssyDunnYet, but I'll also be running the servos at full power, and my IK+gait developments will reduce wear and tear.

As you may notice from that parts list, I'm planning to go with a defender for now. I'll be making some brackets this afternoon, hopefully I'll have some pics of the progress tonight.

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 12-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    Defender Gun = 267g

As you may notice from that parts list, I'm planning to go with a defender for now. I'll be making some brackets this afternoon, hopefully I'll have some pics of the progress tonight.
    Personally, I prefer the look of the defender. It seems a little more menacing to me. =)

Did you include ammo in the weight calculation above or was that just for the defender hardware?

Noog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noog View Post
    Personally, I prefer the look of the defender. It seems a little more menacing to me. =)

Did you include ammo in the weight calculation above or was that just for the defender hardware?

Noog
    Yeah, after I took the body/turret design from the tank gun design, plopped a defender on it, I liked it. Looks sorta like something from Skynet....

That weight is after I've cut a bunch of plastic off the gun, and with the hopper is about 60% full.

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 12-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Images

I got the gun, camera, and arbotiX mounted last night. He walks pretty well still. I'll probably be dis-assembling him later today/tomorrow to paint the gun, make the lexan cover for the turret guts, and die the Bioloid brackets. Then during re-assembly I can put in the final wiring, and he'll be mechanically done (except for targeting plates and transponder).

-Fergs

Images

Dang it Fergs, this is simply not fair. We need something to give us and edge over your awesome machines.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information