Thread: alright here's the link

alright here's the link

Ok,

here's the link for when I start posting things about my new rover.

I don't have much on there yet except for a "test" image of something that I am building for playing with the pololu controller under Linux (FC12).

http://www.csc.depauw.edu/~ronc/robotics/stimtr.shtml

I'll start posting as soon as I have some pics (and a modest amount of time to put something up)

Ron

2. Re: alright here's the link

Hello,

Nice GUI. Which controller is it for? Have you seen the new Micro Maestro? It has a GUI, from Pololu, that works on Linux.

- Ryan

Re: alright here's the link

Quote Originally Posted by ryantm View Post
    Hello,

Nice GUI. Which controller is it for? Have you seen the new Micro Maestro? It has a GUI, from Pololu, that works on Linux.

- Ryan
    Hello Ryan, thanks.

It is for the serial 8 port one (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...ontroller.aspx).
    I noticed that a lot of hardware has software with it written for windows. That might indicate that most use some sort of windows platform to run their robots with? (what is used ? XP, CE or one of the embedded releases?).

Anyway, I don't see many Linux apps/drivers out there, but I think using Linux for doing these kind of things offers a lot more options, OS wise. Also if you plan to use mote's or communication between devices or applications.
    A lot of software that was used in research is around (or parts of it) and written for *nix OS-es So I am surprised that a lot of 'robot parts' you buy come with windows apps only.

Anyway, my plan is to use Linux and write a bunch of stuff for that. The GUI I wrote just to play with servo's a bit more. (I am also writing a daemon that can queue and schedule "servo cmd's", plan is to do something to relate them together too like finish at the same time, start one sequence after another is done etc.

The things I write for this project I'll post somewhere, under the GPL license so that it is free and anyone can use it.

Ron

Hello,

- Ryan
    btw: That looks like an interesting controller. (I might try one of them).
    I recently had a good deal on two of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Those can control servo's, and it has analog and digital io. (so you can use it to read analog data with too.)

I want to try and hook up different sensors to it and see how that goes. I am looking for a place to find inexpensive sharp range finders to begin with.

Ron

5. Re: alright here's the link

Interesting. I'm wondering how easy it will be to control servos with that. Let me know how it goes for you!

- Ryan

Interesting. I'm wondering how easy it will be to control servos with that. Let me know how it goes for you!

- Ryan
    well, I am using the pololu serial 8 port controller for that. The other boards I am going to use for reading analog data (I am trying to find a good deal on something like those sharp IR distance sensors). The board maker claims you can read i2c with that too (we'll see)

Or did you mean the software thing?

Thread Information