Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

1. Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

I'm currently building the "walking Droid" Yes I am a beginner. While running the Droid .bpg example the servos seem to have a mind of their own. I thought I may have connected the cables incorrectly but I check and rechecked the build I know it's correct (famous last words). I ran the Dynamixel Manager and the servos will not appear after a full search is done. I know the CM-5 is receiving data because the TXD and RXD blink intermittently while in "manager mode".

Any information as to the cause would be greatly appreciated. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

Have you also checked the actual cables? if you see any dents or sharp bends that could mean the cable is damaged.

Besides that the things that come to mind are; Did you run the assemblycheck? (mainly, can you be sure that all servos have a unique ID?) Have you tried connecting 1 dynamixel, does it find that? Have you checked the fuse in the CM5? Are you in a area with a lot of 'magnetic noise'? (near power-lines seems to be most common, but honestly, it could be your pc/tv/phone)

Other than those, im not sure what else could cause it, but im sure there could be other reasons.
    (Its probably not your pc/tv/phone btw, unless they are pretty old and 'heavy')

If the above doesnt help, try and elaborate as much as you can (how exactly 'a mind on their own'?) on what you've tried, im sure its fixable one way or the other

3. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

Hello and thanks for your reply:

I checked each individual cable for split, kinks and they seem fine. When I ran the AUX program and the CM-5 responds as it should. This is tested for each cable to ensure they were all working.

When running the assemblycheck the ID's print their own individual #'s. During the above testing of cables I only had 1 dynamixel wired at a time

The only way I can explain "it has a mind of its own". I download and play the ".bpg for the walking droid. The CM-5 responds as it should and I hit Start. The bottom servos (where feet are attached) turn in. I thought maybe they were wired backwards. But ruled that out
    by switching the wiring sequence.

The next test I did was to seperate the two legs (as individual) and ran the program. They appeared to move correctly as intended. But when I join them together they do the same thing.

I should also not that the USB2Dynamixel Manager has never recogonized any of my servos.

Images

Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by neo0924 View Post
    I thought maybe they were wired backwards. But ruled that out
    Huh? The wiring has nothing to do with the ID, the ID is encoded on the servo. Is your construction incorrect?

-Fergs

5. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

I checked and rechecked the assembly based on the instructions in the start-up manual. I actually thought the same thing. So I dismantled it and reassembled with the same out come.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo0924 View Post
    Hello and thanks for your reply:

I checked each individual cable for split, kinks and they seem fine. When I ran the AUX program and the CM-5 responds as it should. This is tested for each cable to ensure they were all working.

When running the assemblycheck the ID's print their own individual #'s. During the above testing of cables I only had 1 dynamixel wired at a time

The only way I can explain "it has a mind of its own". I download and play the ".bpg for the walking droid. The CM-5 responds as it should and I hit Start. The bottom servos (where feet are attached) turn in. I thought maybe they were wired backwards. But ruled that out

The next test I did was to seperate the two legs (as individual) and ran the program. They appeared to move correctly as intended. But when I join them together they do the same thing.

I should also not that the USB2Dynamixel Manager has never recogonized any of my servos.
    How are you powering your servos when plugged into the USB2Dynamixel? Are you plugging them in one at a time and doing a full search? It should find them at any baudrate/ID, but make sure you're doing them one at a time.

7. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

I'm plugged into the CM-5 separately. I just ran the Droid Check assembly program. See attached word doc for error message received

Images

Attachment didn't work, just edit and paste it into your message.

Are you using Roboplus or the older software? Have you updated the firmware of your CM-5 recently?

Could you clarify on how you have them connected, I thought you said you also were using a USB2Dynamixel?

9. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

Error Message:

[CM-5 Version 1.15]
    <->PC:57142 BPS. <->Dynamixel:1000000BPS
    ID:001 002 003 004
    004[0X04] Dynamixels Found.
    ERROR:8100[0058:02]100 002 003 001

10. Re: Dynamixel AX-12 Issues

I tried to download RoboPlus from Robotis. But the first attempt was corrupted. I am attempting this again as we speak. I' also contacted Robotis and that's what they told me to do.

Thread Information