Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bioloid or Robophilo?

1. Bioloid or Robophilo?

Hi I'm new to this community and to robotics in general. I'm looking to purchase my first kit and am wondering from users if I should purchase Robotis Bioloid, or the Robobuilder Robophilo? I understand that Robophilo is a bit limited in what it can do due to the lower end servos however the price tag of $399 for the kit version is very tempting for my first "bot". On the other end there is Bioloid that has recieved many awards but comes with an expensive $899 pricetag.. I guess what i'm trying to ask is the Robophilo good for the price, or should I go all out and buy Bioloid?
    Thanks
    Rob

Images

Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Ok...First of...the economy is tight, and people need to spend within their limits...

that said, I say save up and get the bioloid. I have tried to do things on the cheep, and really you end up with spending money twice, and having a lot of things you don't use.

Just my 2 cents...

3. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Thanks, I think i just might save for Bioloid. I've heard the Robophilo is also prone to programming issues but it's a good first introduction kit including a remote and a stand to suspend it from.
    But it is true the quality is what you pay for..

I currently dont own either. I am going to go the bioloid route myself. You will see more kits coming out for these servos. Just go for the bioloid when you can. You'll see more controllers for these servos and you wont be disappointed in a couple of months of what you would be limited to.

Images

Bioloid without a doubt. Best investment any newcomer could ever make when it comes to quality, longetivity, and room to grow. I own 2 comprehensive kits and a premium, and have had hands-on experience with almost every other humanoid on the market. Bioloid is a step above everything else, well worth the money.

6. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Thanks, would the Bioloid premium kit be good for a beginner like me?

Images

If you can afford it, and you want a top performing humanoid... it is hands down the best performing humanoid kit I've ever seen. The only thing close is the KHR-3HV, which will run you about $2200 by the time you import it from Japan, has less DOF out of the box, no english instructions, and no local support.

8. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

I'm also interested in the Robonova-1 does anyone have any experience with it?

9. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

I'm very new to this forum and robotics also. I have no experience with any of the kits, just what I have read about. When I read your posts it makes me think about the past 2 months. With the new year I decided that I was finally taking on robotics as a much more active hobby. I was caught up in the same decisions that you are looking at. I don't want to spend a grand on a robot but man that Bioloid looks sooooooooo cool.

Every time I would narrow things down in my head to a sensible choice it would also lead me right back to the Bioloid. The reason the Bioloid looks so cool to me is that it has really nice servo's, a decent control module and yes a nice frame set.

Another thing about it was that I could make a few different types of robots with the kit. There are a few other kits out there that promote that same aspect. But the one thing that stopped me dead in my tracks is the thought of a $900 toy sitting in the corner collecting dust. Of course I could eBay it after i was done playing with it.

So after much debating over which kits to get I decided that I would kinda put my own kit together. Keep in mind I have a lot of mechanical skills. I really like design. I have some programming talents. But while I do have some electronic skills there is much I have to learn in that area.

My main reasoning for this approach is that I can start out by spending about $400 and get a awesome controller, 4 very cool servo's and some wireless communication for the controller. That is enough for me to learn about the software and get started on designing a leg.

Once I complete that I will buy some more servo's and continue building my bi-ped. This allows for me to build on a budget and learn about building a robot rather than assembling one. While ending up with what will hopefully be a very cool robot on a payment plan.

I'm using the Bioloid as a guide. I'm using the same AX-12's servo's, making my own frame set and replacing the CM5 with an ArbotiX RoboContoller.

By switching out the CM5 with a ArbotiX I'm offering myself more power but I will have to do some programing. Just worked out that I have been working with Python for a few years now, which it what is used in PyPose for the ArbotiX. From what I have read about the Bioloid Robotic Kit it looks like a you won't have to know any programming language. Maybe others can chime in on that.

I do want to try and built my own frame set but if that should not work out well then I have a back up plan of buying the Bioloid frame set. Will this all cost a little more then the Bioloid Robotic Kit? Yes. For what I will end up learning I'm ok with that. Of course there are also the bragging rights of it being my design, (Hopefully).

Also I will end up with a very cool robotics kit that I can make something else with which is a very big aspect for why I chose this route. The ArbotiX just seems to offer much more over the CM5 for future projects.

This process is going to challenge my talents for sure and I'm not saying you should take this route. I just wanted to mention it because it could be another option for you. You would know better.

Robonaut. Your method is a lot more hardcore than shelling out for the kit, but I think that it is very well thought out and an excellent plan. Also.. I believe that when you buy the servos individually that they do come with a couple brackets to play with and some short cables. One thing to consider is making your own cables too. The part numbers can be found here.. http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-in...age=AX-12+page

Thread Information