Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Images

Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Robman18,

About the Robonova-1. I have one, and I like it...When I bought it, there was not the variety of kits available as there are today. It is a nice enough robot, but has some limitations. The controller used is programmed with a limited version of basic, I found it to be too limiting. Modifications from the standard biped configuration requires making brackets. The servos are also less powerful than the Bioloids.

I've converted my Robonova to a quad ( Bheka) as a matter of preferance, and to make it useful as a Mech. I am constantly haunted by the limitations of the servos, although they are working well within the design of the robot.

For the same $$$ of a Robonova, you could have a standard Bioloid kit. for just a little more, you could have the comprehensive.

I no longer use my Robonova controller, and a lot of the folks with Bioloids have quit using the controller that comes with it in favor of something more versatile. Trade offs everywhere.

Personally I would go with the Bioloid. I don't have one.. yet, but one of these days.

Good luck
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

2. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Robonaut. Your method is a lot more hardcore than shelling out for the kit,
    With out doubt. Definitely not for the person thats wants to open a box and have a robot start walking on its own.

Also.. I believe that when you buy the servos individually that they do come with a couple brackets to play with and some short cables
    Yes they do come with that and some screws, nuts, bushing and washer. The only thing I could not figure out was the length of the cable it comes with. It's is listed as a cable 20 which appears to be one of the longer cables in the Bioloid kit when I look at the PDF for it. From looking at the page that you linked the cable does look short than I thought. But yes enough to play around with. Definitely forgot to mention that I'm gonna have to make some custom wiring.

Thanks for that link. My brain has been buzzing with the thoughts of what they looked like on the inside. That whole wiki actually looks like it is worth checking out.

Hi Robonaut.
    I am in the same shoe as you are. My plan is to get the two-leg project going first, then build up.
    I had a plan with Robotis kit, but after read Billyzelsnack's post, I changed my mind :-D
    I may get a fit-pc2 for the controller and HV300 servo from hobbyking.
    I am going to design/make the HV300 servo driver board.
    I don't have a plan for the alum brackets yet. Did some research on the net to find a sheetmetal prototype company. My company is using redeyeondemand.com for plastic parts, and they are owesome.
    Any suggestions for my sheetmetal prototyping?
    Thanks

Don't under-estimate the learning value of the Bioloid kit. It really is fantastic. Just an all around great design and great quality kit. It really is quite amazing how much effort is required, even with the head start a Bioloid kit gives you, to make a robot do even simple things. I come from the software world and the whole real world stuff can be such a pain in the ass! haha.

As for the performance of that hobbyking servo.. I'd hold off until mine shows up. I'll post plenty of shots and videos (probably the same day it arrives. ) Hopefully sometime this next week.
    Last edited by billyzelsnack; 03-07-2010 at 07:30 PM.

5. Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Any suggestions for my sheetmetal prototyping?
    I'm not a seasoned frame builder by any means. I do how ever work with some different types of composite materials for prototyping. I'm thinking Tyberius and many others on this forum would have much better input on aluminum and sheet metal brackets. You may want to start a new thread with that question, Sounds like it may make for a good topic.

What I do plan on doing is posting my results on how well these materials work out. I'm still gathering parts for my humanoid and getting familiar with the hardware and software that I just purchase. I'm not sure when it will be but once I do get building my custom frame set you can bet I will post my results here.

Quote Originally Posted by billyzelsnack View Post
    Don't under-estimate the learning value of the Bioloid kit. It really is fantastic. Just an all around great design and great quality kit. It really is quite amazing how much effort is required, even with the head start a Bioloid kit gives you, to make a robot do even simple things. I come from the software world and the whole real world stuff can be such a pain in the ass! haha.

As for the performance of that hobbyking servo.. I'd hold off until mine shows up. I'll post plenty of shots and videos (probably the same day it arrives. ) Hopefully sometime this next week.
    I totally agree with you. Bioloid kit will let you start software programming right away.
    I came from the hardware world and touch the "read world" everyday. And I really enjoy making thing from schratch too!
    I do real time control system too. RTOS is the word.

Quote Originally Posted by billyzelsnack View Post
    Hobby King is shipping from China. It takes long time.
    I order LIPOs from them for my helicopters

Images

Post Re: Bioloid or Robophilo?

Dear Rob:

In my humble opinion
    , it depends on how serious you are going into the hobby. I do not own either (my Bioloid is on order), so my opinion is based not on actual use.

Personally, if you are just taking a dip in the novice pool just to see if like the water. I would have gone with the Robobiulder, for the beginner that is unsure of the understanding of a big project. Humanoids are a very big project. Why? I believe it has a simpler set up.

For the person that really wants to get into robotics no matter what, like me, go with the Bioloid. The learning curve is steeper, plus lots of screws, but if you really have a passion for it, you will want to learn.

Yours,
    Steam Automaton

Quote Originally Posted by robman18 View Post
    Hi I'm new to this community and to robotics in general. I'm looking to purchase my first kit and am wondering from users if I should purchase Robotis Bioloid, or the Robobuilder Robophilo? I understand that Robophilo is a bit limited in what it can do due to the lower end servos however the price tag of $399 for the kit version is very tempting for my first "bot". On the other end there is Bioloid that has recieved many awards but comes with an expensive $899 pricetag.. I guess what i'm trying to ask is the Robophilo good for the price, or should I go all out and buy Bioloid?
    Thanks
    Rob

Images

I'll have to agree with darkback. The Bioloid IS the biggest bang for the buck... The servos (or actuators) are really wonderful since it's more than just a servo, it's an integrated system in each actuator. It has torque sensing (current), temperature sensing, positional feedback (digital word)...
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Thread Information