Thread: Hexabot+robot snake

1. Hexabot+robot snake

Hi everybody!

I want to show you 2 unfinished projects (just solidworks models yet....but im working on it)
    both are my first robot projects and is still a loooooooot of work to do, because i didnt started yet the work on the electronics, programming and the manufacturing at all......but the day will come ...
    my hexabot is using 2 ax-12´s and one rx-10 per leg, the robot snake is using 19 hs5055mg´s (2 per segment)
    im not really motivated to explain much of my mechanics now (most of it is anyway intuitive by the pictures), cus im a little bit lazy today.....more of it tomorrow...
    but remember, the mechanical design is unfinished, most of the small sundries up to the "neck" of the hexabot are just not modelled...

alex

ps: sorry for my weak english, i come from austria.......

Images

Re: Hexabot+robot snake

Lemme chime in here real quick: What was your reasoning behind using AX-12s *and* RX-10s? The RX-10 technically has less torque, is over double the cost, and complicates your servo communication bus by deviating from the standard half-duplex TTL that the AX-12s use. Would make more sense to use all AX-12s, or step up to RX-28s. I see the RX-10 having very little use (which is why I don't even stock it here at Trossen's store).

3. Re: Hexabot+robot snake

well, i know the rx-10 has less torque, BUT its also much faster. (on the other hand, its in germany not double the cost of an ax-12). so i decided to use 2 ax-12 "pushing" the robot away fround the ground, but one servo is just rotating the leg about the z-axis. because it has not to withstand high load, it is not necessary to use a servo with a high torque, but on the other hand it is the most important servo for the speed of the hexabot.........

Images

I'd garner that the slight increase in speed doesn't justify the increased cost and complexity of your dynamixel bus (both TTL & RS-485). You'd be surprised at just how fast AX-12s are at 12v, take a look at some of the arbotiX powered quads on this forum for proof.

Also: The AX-18F will be out shortly, which is faster (97 RPM vs 84 RPM) than the RX-10 for less cost, and on the same TTL network as the AX-12.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 02-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.

AX-18F? What's this? Is it bracket-compatible with the AX-12+?

Images

Identical to the ax-12 formfactor, it's basically an upgraded ax-12 with a coreless motor; faster, slightly more torque. No info on pricing or release date as of yet.

7. Re: Hexabot+robot snake

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Also: The AX-18F will be out shortly, which is faster (97 RPM vs 84 RPM) than the RX-10 for less cost, and on the same TTL network as the AX-12.
    ok, THATS an argument....
    im looking forward to see this servo.....

Thread Information