Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coil Gun school project.

Images

Coil Gun school project.

Heyall,

Would like to share this with the trossen community. Might even post up a tutorial when finished

This was meant as a school project to engage my mind, challenge, and help me teach others about electronics whilst I am still learning it myself.

currently we have a glass tube with one coil, firing a 20mm x 5mm (round) mild steel slug.

The coil is a 20 awg (?) clear insulated copper wire, turned onto a custom made spindle at slow rpm (on a lathe to get turns accurate). 65 turns long, and 30 turns high, making it a total of 1950 copper turns.

Have one MOSFET hooked up to two power supplies. those powersupplies are in series, so we have 22.8V at 6.58A max. Currently the MOSFET is allowing 750mA at 22.8V through it, so tomorrow I am wiring up another two power supplies and another MOSFET to get the current going.

Its quite pathetic as the slug is only moving 5cm max, but switching it manually gives us upwards of one metre, so that is the reason for the getting more power supplies.

Updates as they happen.

Will post photos and grab more accurate readings once I am at school tomorrow

(not really robotics, but thought people might want to have a geez mods feel free to shift between forums)
    Hey Hamlet: 2b or not 2b = $FF

Images

Re: Coil Gun school project.

some photos that i said i would post. I have four power supplies now, but only the top two are in use as they are meant to be teachers only, "unlimited" supplies.

Images

another note,

last week i ended up rewinding the secondary coil, and its awesome.

I stepped up the current from the power supplies to about 5A and ended up burning out the MOSFETS. got the slug firing at around 30ms^-1 exiting teh barrel completely.

have ordered some mofo huge Power FETS @ 169A capacity.

going to be using the capacitor again, to try and get an even bigger wack thru the coils.

will post photos once i got em off my iPhone, as we have changed the layout a bit, as the gun is now vertical; and screwed to the wall. xD

4. Totally awsome man, i'd like to see that tutorial . I'm just imagining what would happen if you mounted that baby on a mech... BOOM! No more opponent. lol

Images

thanks. Bearing in mind this is firing only with one coil. we plan on having five beasties

Images

school holidays, and the project has had to be postponed. Im getting sick of it at this stage as the power fets keep blowing up

Images

okay... its been about 12 weeks since the last time i touched this beastie.

Have taken it home for the school holidays and managed to get it working before i shorted 10 amps across the heatsink of the one remaining mosfet

have some photos to keep you entertained.
    Last edited by elios; 07-04-2010 at 12:07 AM.

8. Re: Coil Gun school project.

Yeah, I know. But maybe 5-7 coils will do the trick. I once made one, but it failed miserably, 'cause I kinda desinged it out of my head. Infact I'm gonna look for a tutorial on Instructables, its got everything on it, from how to care for an aardvark to how to skin a zebra! I'll build it and get it working, someday I will rule the Mech world! Ok, not rule, but dominate in a very ruling fashion . But I think I will have to make a fairly big Mech to hold the tube + barrel + thousnads/millions of turns of wire. But I have a quick question about this, it's the electro-magnetic force that drives the slug out of the barrel right? Or is it something else? Coz i tried it using the magnetic force thingy. Let's just say that some types of wire are really bad at handling certain voltages... Yeah, my wire was waaaaaay to thin and decided it would commit suicide the explosive way. So i knida forgot about it.

Images

You want thick wire. I have 12 and 10 AWG on my coils...

Would love to put this on a mech ae :P

How's the coil gun going? Very interested in seeing how this turns out elios!

Thread Information