Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biayered-X

Images

Biayered-X

So a number of years ago I was amazed by this robot called Layered-X. I found the video on youtube while doing a search for humanoid robot fighting or some such nonsense, and instantly fell in love.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cCP1wn94"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cCP1wn94[/ame]

There were a number of problems with a robot like Layered-X, Namely the fact that I think it has something like 7 DOF per leg. That would put it way outside of my league. Until recently that is. Last summer I got my hands on a bioloid, and have been working ever since to learn its in and outs. Here is what I came up with.
    A couple of disclaimers. I have only assembled this robot. It may be too heavy to do much other than flop around. I am also using 24 servos... so...I'm not sure about programming it.

Hope it all goes well.

DB

Images

Re: Biayered-X

Hey DB..
    Love it..
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Is it safe to say this robot is capable of swinging both ways?

Images

Ok...here is a really rough video. I spent a few hours working on some motions. I have 2 CM-5s, but one of them doesn't work unless it is plugged in. I also haven't set this up to run using the xbee. Not really sure how I'll do that anyway.

It looks like I"ll be able to get through a few minute routine...so I am going to set out to mimick the original Layered-X.

I'm really stoked about this robot. really stoked.

DB
    Last edited by darkback2; 04-19-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Images

I goofed off a bit with the crawling gates, and added a leg switch. Short video added to the previous post.

DB

Images

Given that I leave for Robogames tomorrow I had plenty of time to goof off this afternoon...so I made a box to fit Biayered-X in for the trip. It isn't entered in any contests or anything, but I figured I would bring it anyway.

For those of you going...see you tomorrow!
    DB
    Last edited by darkback2; 04-22-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Images

Robogames is over ...and the summer isn't here yet.

Ok...so I have been a bit frustrated with Biayared-X. In part because in a few weeks I will be switching over to an arbotix for a controller, and in part because I haven't been making use of all of the knowledge that I have, and have been struggling because of it. Its been hard to concentrate on doing things right with this robot because I know everything I do I will have to do over again once I have the arbotix up and running.

Part of the hold up there is that I am waiting to buy a charger and battery for the arbotix...My robotics budget has gotten a bit small as of late.

So. First off, I was trying to program a walk cycle by feel. With a quad or hexapod this is passible because things are fudgeable. You can lift a leg " a little bit, and have that be fine. With a biped everything is much more important. Trying to adjust little things here and there won't work because everything is so much more critical.

Second, sort of connected to the first part, I wasn't using geometry to pre-calculate servo positions. I set what I thought was a stable starting point, and made "minor" adjustments from there.

Finally I wrote a max patch that converts degrees of rotation into bioloid AX-12 servo positions. I then used that and some basic trigonometry to determine the servo positions that would work best for making the robot walk in place.

The servos don't do exactly what I want them to yet, mostly because this bot at 24 DOF is probably pushing the limits of the AX-12s especially at ~10 volts using the standard battery.

One thing that is nice is that I will be able to copy down the servo positions, and use the work that I am doing now once I have the arbotix up and running.

DB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQTV2XCE7o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQTV2XCE7o[/ame]

8. Re: Biayered-X

X is looking good. Way to go!

Images

So...I've been sort of at odds as to what to do with Biayared-X since robogames. I've been wanting to swap out the CM-5 for an arbotix for a while now, but my robotics budget has become severely constricted. So I've had to spread out the cross over for several months. Next week I will be ordering a battery charger and power supply which should allow me to be up and running with the arbotix... finally after all this time. Because I've had to wait I haven't really wanted to invest too much energy into programming Biayared-X because any work I do now I will have to repeat once the last few parts get here anyway. In the mean time I have gotten a few things done, and boredom led to me making the arbotix mounting bracket, and even generating a walking in place sequence.

While I worked on the walking sequence I noticed that the bioloid hip brackets were not free enough to allow the foot to move completely under the body. At the time my soluiton was to tip the robot up sideways so that it would swing its body weight over the foot Brat style. Today I made 4 hip/shoulder brackets of my own which allow the feet a lot more freedom. So Biayared-X gets his first custom brackets.

I'll try to update the walking in place gate later this week. I'll post a video when I get a chance.

DB

Images

Those look great! How did you bend them? Did you use your bandsaw to cut them?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information