Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biayered-X

Images

Re: Biayered-X

Yeah...used the printer bandsaw drill press method. I'm getting pretty good at getting holes where they are supposed to be, and also at getting bends to be the way they are supposed to be.

I need to get a metric caliper...The hip brackets ended up being a little bit wider than I wanted them to be.

So...the process...

I printed out the brackets on paper. Used spray on adhesive to glue it to aluminum, and then cut them out on the band saw. I drilled out all of the holes on the drill press (need to get a metric set of drill bits.) Then I bent the brackets using a sheet metal hammer and a vice. I used a 1" square tube piece of steel to bend the ends of the brackets...(I need to get a break.) Then I washed the paper off with WD-40...run the brackets through the dish washer and your done!

DB

Images

That's what I thought. You get much cleaner cuts on the curves than I do. I always end up with a bit of a "jagged" cut. It's got to be the artist in ya!
    Last edited by jes1510; 06-28-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: be != bet
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

The smooth cuts has more to do with finishing things off with an angle grinder with a sanding disk on it.

Images

I use the same method, except that I use removable sticker paper (Avery #3383) so there is no residue to remove.

Still adapting to the new brake. But I did make a new finger with a more rounded edge to make more rounded bends.

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Nice work with your custom brackets! The old "sticky paper and band saw" method works very fine.
    BTW, your Biayered-X looks great with the new improved brackets.

-Zenta

Images

Thanks for the kind words zenta. Coming from you that is like any normal person calling me a genius.

Actually...thanks to everyone for the kind comments. In reality they should go to The original Layared-X creator...Asurada? Have to check on the spelling there.

DB

Images

Question Re: Biayered-X

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    Yeah...used the printer bandsaw drill press method. I'm getting pretty good at getting holes where they are supposed to be, and also at getting bends to be the way they are supposed to be.

I need to get a metric caliper...The hip brackets ended up being a little bit wider than I wanted them to be.

So...the process...

I printed out the brackets on paper. Used spray on adhesive to glue it to aluminum, and then cut them out on the band saw. I drilled out all of the holes on the drill press (need to get a metric set of drill bits.) Then I bent the brackets using a sheet metal hammer and a vice. I used a 1" square tube piece of steel to bend the ends of the brackets...(I need to get a break.) Then I washed the paper off with WD-40...run the brackets through the dish washer and your done!

DB
    What program did you use to draw the brackets for the paper?

Questioningly yours,
    SA

Images

I know I need to upgrade, but I currently use Turbocad 2D for mac. I've had the software for about 4 years now, and to be honest it has met my needs. I just draw the brackets flat, and give myself about 1/16th of an inch for bending room between sides. Then I print them out as PDF files.

A new copy of turbocad will run $99...I'm sure there are better options out there though.

Hope this helps

DB

Images

Thumbs up Re: Biayered-X

I know I need to upgrade, but I currently use Turbocad 2D for mac. I've had the software for about 4 years now, and to be honest it has met my needs. I just draw the brackets flat, and give myself about 1/16th of an inch for bending room between sides. Then I print them out as PDF files.

A new copy of turbocad will run $99...I'm sure there are better options out there though.

Hope this helps

DB
    The 1/16th of an inch for bending helps. Since I do not own a Mac, Turbocad 2D would be useless, unless there is a Windows or Ubuntu versions.

When I get settled at my new place, I will have to try it out myself. Since I already got the aluminum.

Does anybody know a good Ubuntu 2D CAD program? Since my Windows box will be down for a while.

Yours,
    SA

Images

I know I need to upgrade, but I currently use Turbocad 2D for mac. I've had the software for about 4 years now, and to be honest it has met my needs.
    Eh, I'm using a 5-6 year old version of Autodesk Inventor....

Quote Originally Posted by SteamAutomaton View Post
    Does anybody know a good Ubuntu 2D CAD program? Since my Windows box will be down for a while.
    Qcad runs under linux - it's pretty good for 2D CAD.

-Fergs

Thread Information