Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mech Wars 2010 Checklist (And Stuff)

Images

Mech Wars 2010 Checklist (And Stuff)

Thought I would post a few tips/reminders:

Scoring, Etc:

• Transponder/Plate/XBEE installation instructions can be found here
    • Are you registered? If not, it's too late -- and Gary failed to nag you enough...
    • As soon as possible on Friday, check in with Andrew or I, so we can test your scoring setup, etc, and make sure all is well.
    • If at all possible -- please leave the ISP header accessible.
    • Please point your transponder LED outwards so that the competitor/crowd can see when a hit occurs

General Mech Preparations:

• Is your camera, batteries, control boards, etc protected from BBs? Lightweight styrene or lexan sheet plastic makes a great cover for these things. A stray BB CAN kill a PCB (it'll destroy a capacitor or crystal), so if you can't replace it on-site, cover it up!

Tools/Parts Checklist:

• If you need special tools, make sure you bring them. I know a number of us are flying in, but Gary and Manny (and others?) are driving. Those driving, if you're bringing any larger tools, want respond with that list of stuff, just so others know what might/might-not be available?

On Site:

• Friday will be open practice/tuning, with exhibition matches when possbile.
    • Please let us know if you are competing in any other competitions at RG (and what times they are) so we can schedule the matches on Saturday & Sunday.

What did I miss?

-Fergs

Images

Re: Mech Wars 2010 Checklist (And Stuff)

We will be providing a WiFi Router complete with a directional flat panel antenna and hard wired ethernet drop for your PC for those who are using WiFi Camera's (and if your not, good luck!). You are not required to use this setup, However, it is recommended to do so. That being said. Please do the following for easy setup if you wish to use our setup.

WiFi Settings:

Please set your SSID of your WiFi camera to the name of your mech as follows. No Spaces, Capitalize the first Character of each word. Limit to 10 characters.

Examples:
    Odin
    WarChild
    SecondAmen
    IssyDunYet

We WILL NOT be using WEP or WAP encryption. However, I will restrict WiFi Connections based on MAC address. So, I need everyone who is going to use this system to please PM me with the WiFi MAC address of your Camera Before the 22nd if possible) so that I can add them into the router.

We will probably be using channels 1 and 11 during the matches, and I hope to have a staging WiFi setup on channel 6 (only active when we're not running matches) Those of you who are going to use your on WAP, please check with me first on which Channel you need to use.

IP Assignments and Setup:

You can choose your own IP addresses, as each mech will have it's own dedicated WiFi. However, I recommend sticking to the 192.168.0.x/24 schem. Also, We can do static IP assignment via DHCP using the MAC Address of your WiFi camera and computer.

Thanks, Connor
    Last edited by Connor; 04-16-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Images

If you are running the cheep Chinese tank guns, you may want to double up on the anti-noise capacitor that runs across the power leads. I have found that the cheesy one it comes with just does not do the job. If your guns do not have a capacitor and or chokes it would be nice of you to add some since it we don't want to make the RF noise situation worse then it already is with a bunch of sparky little motors.

Images

Bringing:
    Soldering station, 16-22ga stranded wire, 22ga solid wire, heat shrink tubing in various sizes, wire strippers, desoldering wick... led's, many resistors, caps, etc...
    Servo tape, electrical tape, gorilla tape
    zip ties 4", 8"
    styrene glue, multipurpose glue
    Digital Multimeter
    NiHM/Nicad charger 9V, AA, AAA, subC
    2s/3s Lipo Charger
    reg and min Phillips/flathead screwdrivers
    Needle nose pliers
    Xacto knife
    dremel and attachments
    digital projector

lemme know if you have any special requests.
    If I have it I'll bring it!
    Last edited by mannyr7; 04-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Images

Everyone try to bring your own (or even extra) power strips!

Forgot to send em with my shipment, so I'll be bringing like 2 on my checked bags.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mannyr7 View Post

lemme know if you have any special requests.
    If I have it I'll bring it!
    Hot glue gun please! I don't want to take anything remotely related to the word "Gun" though airport security.

Images

Glue gun and sticks. Check! Power strip and 50 ft extension.

Images

I also threw in a hot glue gun.
    3/8 drill
    2- short extensions
    3-plug strips
    heat gun
    Soft mallets - deadblow
    sawzall
    soldering station and a couple of small pencil irons
    multimeter
    metal punch
    leather punch
    some misc styrene, aluminum, lexan.
    misc. wire
    extra gamepads.

Whatever else I could think of.

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

I'm pretty much a neophyte with electronics, mechanics and programming but I still would like to try and contribute as much as I can to this year's Mech-Warfare efforts. I have two hundred dollars budgeted initially for getting some of the items I'll need, like a multi-meter, soldering iron (if my old one proves inappropriate for soldering pcb connections), a glue gun, alligator-clip type vises, etc. If I can source it(them) at a reasonable price before I get to the games then I'll pick up what I can. In that vein I'm open to suggestions on products and/or supplies to pick up that would be generally helpful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StoborRobonaught View Post
    I'm pretty much a neophyte with electronics, mechanics and programming but I still would like to try and contribute as much as I can to this year's Mech-Warfare efforts. I have two hundred dollars budgeted initially for getting some of the items I'll need, like a multi-meter, soldering iron (if my old one proves inappropriate for soldering pcb connections), a glue gun, alligator-clip type vises, etc. If I can source it(them) at a reasonable price before I get to the games then I'll pick up what I can. In that vein I'm open to suggestions on products and/or supplies to pick up that would be generally helpful.
    May want to wait and check out if there is a lost and found bin after the games, i am sure there there will be some tools forgotten after everybody goes home. Better to go to a bot'er then the trash bin. I used to ride my bike to work through an industrial area and would find tools fallen off the work trucks in the gutter quite frequently. I got a nice punch-down tool and a level and some pliers and an assortment of slightly dented sockets that way lol.

I will bring a spare botboard2 and ps2 controller, some hbridges, rf chokes, bus pirate serial debugging tool, castle bec programer, 5v usb to serial, some spare servo erector set bits,misc small hardware, some 4.7F ultra caps for fixing brownouts, and some spare tankgun parts.
    Last edited by darrellt; 04-20-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Thread Information