Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radar for Mech Warfare?

Re: Radar for Mech Warfare?

Quote Originally Posted by gdubb2 View Post
    How about just using a common monitor hardwired to the camera. Have the competitors sitting a little closer togther than we were, and just share the monitor, have the blips update the same for each one. An occasional update would still be better than we have now, and this would eliminate any problems with everyone having to have some sort of connection to the camera.

It's cumbersome as all get out, but I have a 19" CRT monitor I would donate to the cause.

Gary
    If that's the route to go then if splitting the signal between two monitors works with that I have an old LCD screen I can bring along too so the combatants don't need to share one monitor.

[EDIT] PS: It's a 17" with pretty crappy resolution but (it) should suffice for the purposes. http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...spx?itemnum=29
    Last edited by Stobs; 04-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Actually, if two mechs were confused about where they were, maybe we should just put colored flags for every quadrant of the arena. It certainly would be a lot less work.

I don't know if this might be a problem, but the ten second blip period might be distracting to some pilots who are trying to navigate through their surroundings. It might be hard trying to predict where your opponent is going to move next while you yourself are piloting your mech. In ten seconds, an agile mech could easily move away from the location it was spotted in. If it was every three seconds, it could be proven more effective as you can see which way your opponent is going.

Plus trying to get a camera mounted from a top-down view and getting it hooked up to two displays might be more work than necessary. I also think that this would take a lot of the fun away and make it too easy. Instead of focusing on combined strategy, stealth, etc, we might end up making this game about who has the better aiming system. In a sense, the battles would be a lot more direct, and less balanced between direct and indirect.

The colored flags could be put in the center of the quadrant. That way competitors won't have to memorize every landmark, just a few.
    Last edited by MSK Mech Commander; 04-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MSK Mech Commander View Post
    Plus trying to get a camera mounted from a top-down view and getting it hooked up to two displays might be more work than necessary. I also think that this would take a lot of the fun away and make it too easy. Instead of focusing on combined strategy, stealth, etc, we might end up making this game about who has the better aiming system. In a sense, the battles would be a lot more direct, and less balanced between direct and indirect.
    Just want to add; you'd be surprised at how easy it is to get lost in there when you're piloting. We saw multiple mechs getting pretty disoriented. It's an entirely different ballgame when you've actually built a mech and tried piloting it in an arena against an enemy, I think your perspective of what's easy might change. Hell, I lost track of where S.A. was a few times, and he was right under my nose (almost literally).

The output display of the proposed mech would just be a grid with the buildings/borders marked, and a blip-dot of where you and your opponent are flashing once every 10-15 seconds or so. Given that radar was standard issue equipment for most mechs in the Battletech universe, I don't see an issue with an implementation of this.

Another thing to note is that it probably wouldn't be effective against stationary mechs, so you could still employ a bit of stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Just want to add; you'd be surprised at how easy it is to get lost in there when you're piloting. We saw multiple mechs getting pretty disoriented. It's an entirely different ballgame when you've actually built a mech and tried piloting it in an arena against an enemy, I think your perspective of what's easy might change. Hell, I lost track of where S.A. was a few times, and he was right under my nose (almost literally).

The output display of the proposed mech would just be a grid with the buildings/borders marked, and a blip-dot of where you and your opponent are flashing once every 10-15 seconds or so. Given that radar was standard issue equipment for most mechs in the Battletech universe, I don't see an issue with an implementation of this.

Another thing to note is that it probably wouldn't be effective against stationary mechs, so you could still employ a bit of stealth.
    Good to know, just proposing a devil's advocate point of view.

Even though I have pretty much no experience whatsoever, hooking up a HUD to several models of computers, networks, codes, yada, would be really hard. So, we'll most likely will end up with a satellite imaging monitor(s). Colored flags for landmarks might be something to consider on top of the "satellite" imaging. That way pilots could navigate without craning their heads to the side to look at the satellite monitor if they wanted to. But it's just an idea should we need it if ever. By that, I mean I doubt we'll ever need it. But hey, things happen.

Images

I have an IR sensor on the front of each squidwords front feet. While walking him around the house it really helped because each foot sweeps almost 90 degrees per step. I'm thinking of adding a front and back IR sensor...

Then again...I should probably just focus on getting him to stop walking in circles.

DB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Just want to add; you'd be surprised at how easy it is to get lost in there when you're piloting. We saw multiple mechs getting pretty disoriented. .
    Let's have Fon put in street signs next year or themed parts of town, ie. Chinatown...

Images

I know I'm in the minority here when I say I thought it was sort of fun having people watching screaming...he is to the left...Oh!!! turn...turn

It was sort of like bootleg radar.

A top down view...I sort of think people-dar is more fun...we would just have to limit what the people are saying to things like...Left, right, your hitting a building...that sort of stuff. It also makes it so that we can have plants yelling out the wrong directions.

DB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here when I say I thought it was sort of fun having people watching screaming...he is to the left...Oh!!! turn...turn

It was sort of like bootleg radar.

A top down view...I sort of think people-dar is more fun...we would just have to limit what the people are saying to things like...Left, right, your hitting a building...that sort of stuff. It also makes it so that we can have plants yelling out the wrong directions.

DB
    DB -- have you ever watched some of the fire-fighting matches? Those are hilarious displays of "people-dar" trying to tell the robot "no, go back, you missed the fire!"

-Fergs

If you guys have the overhead area camera figured out, then what about shooting the image to a web server. Most high level languages have libraries for hitting the Internet/Intranet. The Mech commanders can either integrate into their existing UI or use a separate browser instance during the match.
    Last edited by MikeG; 05-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    If you guys have the overhead area camera figured out, then what about shooting the image to a web server. Most high level languages have libraries for hitting the Internet/Intranet. The Mech commanders can either integrate into their existing UI or use a separate browser instance during the match.
    Yeah, the issue is that competitors are each on different physical networks -- not many (any?) laptops have dual network cards, so we're looking at dragging a full PC with dual network cards around for this.... unless there's something I'm missing?

-Mike

Thread Information