Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing IPMechCam

Images

Introducing IPMechCam

EDIT: IPMechCam is no longer supported. See notes at the bottom of this post for its replacement.

IPMechCam is a cross platform python program to display a motion jpeg stream from an IP camera. The intent is to provide a powerful, customizable and easy to use application for anyone to use in the Mech Warfare robotics competition.

By default IPMechCam will support the TRENDnet TV-IP100W camera with the option to expand support for other similar IP cameras.

The most interesting feature of IPMechCam will be its support for highly customizable HUD or Heads Up Display widgets. HUD widgets are able to display information in a visual manner over the top of IPMechCam's camera image. Information can include cross hairs to indicate targeting, sensor and control status relayed back from the mech and even indication of game status such as time remaining in the match and the current health of both you and your opponent.

IPMechCam is the first tool in a line of applications geared for the Mech Warfare robotic competition. Other tools planned include gait visualization and optimization, gait generation, pose/sequence editor and robot control interface.

Early test screenshot

If you would like to try IPMechCam:

1. Download and install Python (either version 2.5 or 2.6 is fine. I use 2.6)
    2. Download and install wxPython GUI toolkit library.
    3. Download the current version of UpgraydMech (edit: link removed).
    4. Unzip and run the UpgraydMech.py file.

IPMechCam has been replaced with the much simplified UpMechIPCam
    To try UpMechIPCAM:

1. Download and install Python (either version 2.5 or 2.6 is fine. I use 2.6)
    2. Download and install wxPython GUI toolkit library.
    3. Download UpMechIPCam.
    4. Unzip UpMechIPCam.zip and edit the first few lines of of UpMechIPCam.py to match your trendnet IP camera's settings.
    5. Run and enjoy!
    Last edited by Upgrayd; 04-24-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Updated info.

Re: Introducing IPMechCam

That sounds AWESOME Upgrayd! I definitely see a little Python in my future! lol

Images

Very nice! I’m interested for sure.

4. Re: Introducing IPMechCam

I like the cross platform deal. I especially like how you plan to make it as flexible. This is just a great idea.

Images

I made some great progress over the weekend. I was able to flesh out a rough format for HUD widgets and implemented a simple customizable crosshair demo.

Here I have dropped two instances of the crosshair widget into IPMechCam's widget folder. On program start up IPMechCam has detected the the widget files, loaded them, displayed them using their defaults, and added menu listings for each.

Clicking on a widgets menu listing opens that widgets preference dialog (if the widget has a preference dialog configured for it). In the case of the crosshair widget I simply have two slider controls to adjust the the origin of the cross hair.

Images

Nice project. I was doing the same thing in windows, but I prefer the open source nature of yours. Finally give me a reason to learn python.

For those that may be interested in Python here's two tutorials I've found on the web; at least some of the syntax is different between these two versions:

Beginner's Python v2.4 Tutorial [EDIT] - This was previously misidentified as a tutorial for v2.5/2.6.
    Python v2.5.2 Tutoral @ Python.org
    Python v2.6.5 Tutorial @ Python.org
    Python v3 Tutorial @ SwaroopCH
    Last edited by Stobs; 05-31-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stobs View Post
    For those that may be interested in Python here's two tutorials I've found on the web; at least some of the syntax is different between these two versions:

Beginner's Python v2.5/2.6 Tutorial
    Python v3 Tutorial @ SwaroopCH
    99.999% of people are still using python 2.5/2.6 -- because nearly all 3rd party libraries have yet to port to python 3. (they're working on it, but many libraries took this opportunity to do a ground up rewrite on their software, rather than just porting to 3.0)

-Fergs

Images

Just for fun here is a screenshot of IPMechCam running on my MacBook. Works and looks just the same.

Images

That's pretty groovy man. You have source yet?
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information