Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrayd's Gold Rush – Quad Mech

Images

Upgrayd's Gold Rush – Quad Mech

I am starting some preliminary work on my new mech and figured it would be fun to document it as I work as I did with Second Amendment.

A few project goals with this mech:

• Lightweight and minimalistic parts.
    • A low total part count.
    • Indirect drive of the pan and tilt turret movements.
    • Omnidirectional symmetrical design.

Here a few pictures of a prototype chassis I am working on to test the AX-12 servos and turret ideas. I believe the material is abs with a thin sheet of gold colored plastic laminated on the top. (Found about 10 12x12 inch sheets of this dumpster diving). It is incredibly lightweight, stiff and easy to machine.

Chassis top plate with coxa servo and turret pan mounted. It is very similar to Inxfergy's mech issy2. I may end up reconfiguring the coxa servos to be at 45 deg angles (forming an X) out from the corners of the chassis.

Lazy susan style rotary turn table I may used for the turret pan. It is galvanized steel and actually surprisingly heavy. More then likely i will be looking for other options.

Oh and also... I'm not sure about the name Gold Rush. Just thought it was fitting due to the material color of the prototype chassis but it may stick.

Images

Re: Upgrayd's Gold Rush – Quad Mech

I added some very simple legs to the prototype chassis. They are made from only the brackets included with the ax-12 servos and some lengths of 5/8 inch OD PVC tubing for the tibia segment.

So with that I basically have a fully functional quad to allow some programming development alongside the final mechanical designs.

I have made some progress with a python ax-12 library. I will be working on converting SA's control program from sending serial commands to an ssc-32 to communicating with the ax-12 bus. Should have this prototype walking in rather short order.
    Last edited by Upgrayd; 05-23-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Images

Working on some very rough CAD drawings of some chassis and servo bracket ideas and figured I would share.

Planning on making some custom coxa-to-femur brackets as the bioloid C brackets back to back are rather large and clunky.

Images

What're you using for CAD? I've got all the Bioloid stuff modeled in a few different formats if you need.

Images

I use 2d autoCAD for all my design work. The 3d model is just a Google sketchup with rough dimensions. I use it to visualize overall scale.

No need for the bracket models. I will be making all custom brackets so I can have greater control over all leg segment dimensions.

Images

I am looking for a quick and dirty way to get this prototype chassis walking with wireless control using parts I have on hand.

Here is a little diagram of my idea...

Basically I am thinking that I could splice a cable together that connects the USB data lines of the XBee USB Explorer and the Bioloid USB bus board and provide 5v for each device.

Would this work? Or am I just way off base here?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Upgrayd View Post
    I am looking for a quick and dirty way to get this prototype chassis walking with wireless control using parts I have on hand.

Here is a little diagram of my idea...

Basically I am thinking that I could splice a cable together that connects the USB data lines of the XBee USB Explorer and the Bioloid USB bus board and provide 5v for each device.

Would this work? Or am I just way off base here?
    That unfortunately probably won't work, because both the HUV/Explorer are expecting to be plugged into USB master. Just wiring the pins together doesn't get you anywhere because they will both think they are disconnected.

-Fergs

8. Re: Upgrayd's Gold Rush – Quad Mech

Nope, that won't work. Both of those boards are USB devices, and they both need to be plugged into USB hosts.

If you want full-speed wireless access to the bus from your PC, about the only option available is my wifi board, which you can get from Trossen. If you can handle lower speeds, you can hack something together with Xbee or whatever, perhaps with an Arbotix.

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Ah, I figured as much. Thanks guys.

Images

I had the prototype chassis walking while tethered to my pc using SA's control program the other day.

The code ended up really hacky and hard to work with with the AX-12 control shoehorned in. So I have decided to rewrite it all from the ground up to make it much more general and expandable for cross robot use as well as for others to use if they wish.

The leg IK is working well. Getting the chassis to walk again is just a simple matter of adding a gait sequence. Should be up and walking again the end of this weekend accompanied with a little video.

As always you can take a look at my code by downloading it here.

Thread Information