Thread: Thinking about Bioloid..

Question Thinking about Bioloid..

I've been quietly watching the development of the Bioloid system for sometime with great interest. Now, with the introduction of controllers like the ArbotiX Robocontroller, I think it might be time for me to start experimenting with Bioloid. However, as much as I would like to do it, I just can't afford $899.00 to get the comprehensive kit, or $1199.00 to get the Bioloid Premium Robot Kit.

So, I am thinking about getting into it a bit more gradually by getting a
    USB2Dynamixel Adapter, and an AX-12+ servo/actuator to start out. After that, I would want to add a few more AX-12+ servo/actuators, an ArbotiX Robocontroller, and the Bioloid Comprehensive Kit Frame Set.

With this progression, I'm hoping to eventually end up with the equivalent (or better) of the Bioloid Comprehensive Kit.
    I would like my first project to be the Bioloid equivalent of the Lynxmotion BRAT, which seems like a fun project to start with.

Does this progression seem reasonable?

8-Dale
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

Images

Re: Thinking about Bioloid..

Absolutely, though I'd probably suggest jump jumping straight in to an ArbotiX + FTDI and a handful of AX-12+s. Given your programming experience you'd probably be a bit more at home just programming the AVR directly (rather than using a PC/USB interface such as the USB2Dynxmixel). Keep in mind each AX-12+ comes with a side and hinge bracket, so you'll be able to at least start playing right off the bat. The comprehensive frame set is a steal for the price as well, and pretty much allows you to just add more servos as you go and build as large of a collection as your pocket can afford.

I think you'll be really happy with the Bioloid system, I took this leap over 2 years ago and never looked back.

Images

Re: Thinking about Bioloid..

If you're looking to save money, and you are planning to get an ArbotiX anyways, the ArbotiX can act like a USB2Dynamixel (using the pypose sketch).

I'd also suggest getting the frame kit earlier rather than later. Most people who've held out later regret it. In addition to all that plastic goodness, you'll get longer screws, the all-important 6-pin wiring hub, a nice set of feet, and wires of various sizes (in particular, shorter ones than come with the servos individually, and wire management is always good for reliability and avoiding having to trouble shoot something).

One of our demo programs is basically a 4-servo brat (Droid Walker is the bioloid build name, if you're looking in the bioloid manuals).

-Fergs

4. Re: Thinking about Bioloid..

I have taken the same route that you mentioned. I could not afford to get a complete bioloid kit Either. Also I felt the ArtbotiX Robocontroller offered more than the CM5. Their were some other reasons that just made it a good idea.

Tyberius and Andrew recommended the very same things to me and I wanted to let you know I took their advice and I am very pleased with my set up. Given what I know now and if I had the money to buy a full kit, I would still have bought the ArbotiX.

The more I learn, the more confident I become that I choose the correct hardware.

Arrow Re: Thinking about Bioloid..

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Absolutely, though I'd probably suggest jump jumping straight in to an ArbotiX + FTDI and a handful of AX-12+s. Given your programming experience you'd probably be a bit more at home just programming the AVR directly (rather than using a PC/USB interface such as the USB2Dynxmixel).
    You have a great point there. I'm already using WinAVR/AVRStudio to write code for my AXON, and use the Arduino IDE for my true blue Arduino board and Sanguino. I already have an FTDI board I use with my Sanguino. I definitely prefer direct programming rather than using so called "visual' programming aids. Software development is my favorite part of robotics!

Keep in mind each AX-12+ comes with a side and hinge bracket, so you'll be able to at least start playing right off the bat. The comprehensive frame set is a steal for the price as well, and pretty much allows you to just add more servos as you go and build as large of a collection as your pocket can afford.
    Having each AX-12+ come with a couple brackets is a real nice plus, for sure. OK, I am revising my Bioloid Plan then, to get the ArBotix controller and two or three AX-12+ first, then I'll get the frame kit. I won't mess with the USB2Dynxmixel interface, at least for now.

I think you'll be really happy with the Bioloid system, I took this leap over 2 years ago and never looked back.
    I think so too. I need something to tinker with when I am stalled on development for WALTER and/or ASTRID. Now you have me wondering whether getting some Bioloid stuff now would be a better idea than getting more stuff for WALTER and ASTRID. Maybe I will take a short break from WALTER and ASTRID for now and jump into Bioloid.

8-Dale

Arrow Re: Thinking about Bioloid..

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    If you're looking to save money, and you are planning to get an ArbotiX anyways, the ArbotiX can act like a USB2Dynamixel (using the pypose sketch).
    I did not know this. Excellent! I'm not so much trying to save money, as I am trying to piece what I need together parts in more manageable (money wise) orders. I'm now thinking I may take a couple months off from buying stuff for WALTER and ASTRID and get started right with Bioloid.

I'd also suggest getting the frame kit earlier rather than later. Most people who've held out later regret it. In addition to all that plastic goodness, you'll get longer screws, the all-important 6-pin wiring hub, a nice set of feet, and wires of various sizes (in particular, shorter ones than come with the servos individually, and wire management is always good for reliability and avoiding having to trouble shoot something).
    This makes perfect sense to me now, after readying yours and Andrew's responses.

One of our demo programs is basically a 4-servo brat (Droid Walker is the bioloid build name, if you're looking in the bioloid manuals).
    Ahhhh, cool! I will have to look at that one.

8-Dale

Thread Information