Thread: AX-18F = AX-12+ with a double torque. Crazy idea?

Images

Question AX-18F = AX-12+ with a double torque. Crazy idea?

Since AX-18F is twice as fast as AX-12+, if gear reduction is changed to make them slower, whouldn't it increase its torque 2 times?

What do you guys think?

Images

Re: AX-18F = AX-12+ with a double torque. Crazy idea?

I have a feeling the problem would be the plastic gear train -- under twice the load, it'd probably fall apart pretty fast. I had turned off overload detection on several of my AX-12s at one point when working on the original Issy, and in about an hour, one of them had a busted gear train.

-Fergs

Images

Post Re: AX-18F = AX-12+ with a double torque. Crazy idea?

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    Since AX-18F is twice as fast as AX-12+, if gear reduction is changed to make them slower, whouldn't it increase its torque 2 times?

What do you guys think?
    According to the ad in the May Servo Magazine, the gear ratio is the same. The main difference seems to be that the AX-18F uses a core-less motor where the AX-12 uses a cored motor. I have no idea how you would change the gear reduction or how that could play havoc with the internal defaults of the servo electronics.

At about $90 a servo, you can go ahead try your crazy idea (I would go with metal) and report back to us poorer folk. If I get some AX-18Fs, I will be using them as is. I may even go with RX-24F; if finances and technology allow me to do so.

SA

Images

> I have a feeling the problem would be the plastic gear train I have a feeling the problem would be the plastic gear train

Well, reduction can be done externally, probably in metal, thus to Dynamixel nothing will change. Final position will need to be accounted for in the controlling software. Most joints don't need 360 degrees anyway.

> At about $90 a servo
    That's actually my point. If I could get double torque (or a little more becase AX-18F has more torque than AX-12+) for only $90 (plus the cost of the mod), I would definitely pay it.

> you can go ahead try your idea
    I'm way too novice to try it right now. I just got my first Comprehensive Buioloid Kit.
    As a positive side-effect, position precision should double too, right?

This is just an idea to through around. From what I see so far a lot of people are saying that AX-12+ don't have quite enough torque for knees, so that would be a solution.

I think billyzelsnack is the best person to test this type of thing. He already has done a lot of excellent work of testing servos.

Which brings me to the point I'm going to make soon in a separate thread:
    Is there some resource that catalogues different people's abilities?
    Wouldn't it be great if we could start specializing, so that everyone doesn't have to do everything by themselves?
    That way, collectively we will progress much faster.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    As a positive side-effect, position precision should double too, right?
    The negative with that is you half the range from 300 deg to 150 deg.

I, myself am learning with the Premium kit. The lack of access to a Windows box is slowing me down with the software. Although, the new job will fix that quick. After, car repairs.

SA

Thread Information