Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issy3 (Powered by ROS)

Images

Issy3 (Powered by ROS)

There has been a bit of discussion about ROS and Issy3 in my blog, and I figured I'd move it over here. Like his predecessors, Issy3 is a 3-DOF quadruped. Unlike the previous bots, he's carrying a FitPC for heavy processing, a stereo vision head for main sensor, ground tactile sensors on the feet, and has a tail in an effort to allow better dynamic balancing without as much body shift. My camera is currently out of town, and the build is only about 75% done, so a CAD rendering will have to do:

and here are some pictures of the feet:

His poor little AX-12s are going to be overwhelmed I fear, and I may have to upgrade to RX-24Fs in the legs at some point in the near future.

Now onto the more technical details. In addition to the FitPC2, Issy has an ArbotiX acting as the primary I/O device. The ArbotiX controls the 16 AX-12 servos, and reads inputs from the ground tactile sensors. Eventually it will read information from a 6DOF ArduIMU. Voltage monitoring is done by querying the individual AX-12s. I've dumped the XBEEs in this application and the ArbotiX is connected with an FTDI cable to the USB of the PC.

The ArbotiX is running a standard NUKE IK and gait engine, and a customized main loop that takes serial input from the ROS driver. The ROS driver currently sends high-level commands (x speed, y speed, rotation speed, etc), and can also poll/set the state of analog/digital lines. Since the ArbotiX handles all the real-time movement and keeps its own odometer, the PC is free to do high level planning and vision -- without worrying much about real time crap. All of the ROS code will be released shortly – it's taking a bit more time to get to a 0.1 release than I expected, as I had to rebuild a good portion of both of my test bots over the past week. I'm hoping we'll a full release + documentation out by the beginning of next week. The next version of NUKE, due out next month, will allow you to select whether you want the traditional “Commander-protocol” sketch exported with your IK engine, or the new “ROS-protocol” one.

When I eventually get Issy's feet sensors into the equation for terrain adaption, the ArbotiX will also handle those internally (although the PC can query the state of the foot sensors). Having a fast, closed-loop control out on the ArbotiX again frees up the PC to do other more interesting things.

Issy is one of my 3 ROS test bots right now, I'll post about the other 2 shortly.

-Fergs

Re: Issy3 (Powered by ROS)

Very cool.

Did you ditch the fit-pc2 case? I made a custom case and shed at least 100grams, but it no longer can be passively cooled and needed a fan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by billyzelsnack View Post
    Very cool.

Did you ditch the fit-pc2 case? I made a custom case and shed at least 100grams, but it no longer can be passively cooled and needed a fan.
    Thanks! I saw your custom case, but I haven't brought myself to ditching the case yet. I'm currently sharing the FitPC between 2 robots (it's held on by velcro!) and didn't want to mess around with non-passive cooling yet. Once I see how this guy walks, that may change. It currently looks like Issy will come in around 2.5kg, a bit heavier than my previous mechs -- although if he doesn't walk well under that weight, dumping the fit case is probably the single easiest/largest weight loss possible -- after that it'll be tough.

-Fergs

Very nice. I'm a fan of onboard brains.

Images

I have to say I really like the fit PC...if I didn't already have the wibrain I would get one in a heart beat. I can't wait to see what you come up with when your all done.

DB

Images

> I've dumped the XBEEs in this application and the ArbotiX is connected with an FTDI cable to the USB of the PC.

By PC you mean FitPC, right?
    So there's no external connection to outside world? Is it going to be completely autonomous?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    > I've dumped the XBEEs in this application and the ArbotiX is connected with an FTDI cable to the USB of the PC.

By PC you mean FitPC, right?
    So there's no external connection to outside world? Is it going to be completely autonomous?
    That is the plan. I also plan to have a PS3 controller (which already has ROS support) for playing around and the inevitable crowd demo (there' something about foot and a half long robotic lizards running around with kids, they love it!).

Mech Warfare is actually the only non-autonomous competition I've ever done -- and this little guy is not going into Mech Warfare....

-Fergs

Images

Is the PS 3 remote running under linux or windows?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    Is the PS 3 remote running under linux or windows?
    ROS is currently Linux only.

-Fergs

Images

Hi,

Wow!
    Your Issy3 looks great, the custom made 3D printer (Makerbot) feet with sensor looks very interesting, any more details about the feet? (Oh, forget it, I checked your blog.. )
    How many DOF on the head and tail, 2 on each?
    I'm looking forward to see more of your very inspiring work. Thanks for sharing!

-Zenta

Thread Information