Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Draco 08 - Quad Mech

Images

Re: Quad Mech

So I have gotten it down to about 15.5" square, by replacing the longer bracket, for the shorter version, and took away the extra material in the chassis. So now its been updated in my design, I also took out the lazy susan, which I still might still get made, to see if I like the way it spins, if it makes for a smoother turn/less jumpiness, I might keep it on. If its just too heavy and makes negligible difference, I will just keep it for another project later on if I may want.

Fergs, Tyberius, Gdubb - Thanks a lot for the advice. It really helps to get it from experienced, veteran, mech pilots. It would be terrible if I created my mech and then I couldn't walk it down the street or couldn't hold up the weight. Thanks a lot guys.

I believe I will be ordering a trendnet camera very soon. My GF needs to order a bunch of things on Amazon and the trendnet is only 70$ with rebate now. So I'll add it onto her shopping cart, muahhhaha.

I've posted before, but if anyone wants to help me out, if you are good with modifying electronics, I would really wish to disconnect the camera lens from the board. I want to house it differently than right next to the boards. I would be willing to pay for time and hardware. It would be a good tutorial or video to have posted on the forums here. Please let me know if there are any takers.

Attachment 1987

Images

I have only done a little work this whole long weekend we had. I was pretty sick, and even thought I wanted to, I couldn't get off the couch to even sit at the computer. But I did some more design work, I think I am almost ready to send a file to get my first custom laser cut piece done for the chassis. Just need to figure out a few more mounting holes. Added on the pan servo and bracket connecting to the torso. Also, added a few cut outs to reduce some of the weight. Oh, and those blobs inside the chassis are mock ups for the batteries. Took some dimensions of 11.1v LiPos off the Trossen site and went by that. They would fit easily between the servos.

Attachment 1997

Images

Looking Good.

But, batteries? Plural? Just a note, Issy and the quad/hex we had at RoboGames were all running the $49 11.1V 2200mAH packs -- and easily getting 30-40 minutes of runtime -- servo heat was a bigger problem than battery life.

-Fergs

Images

What about running the camera? You can run that off the same battery too?

Images

Here again you will find as many ideas as there are builders. My method of choice is to have a separate battery supply for each basic function. This does add a lot of weight in the process though. On Bheka I use Nimh battery packs simply as a matter of economics. (I don't want to buy more batterys and replace my chargers.)

I have separate battery packs for the logic, camera, gun power, and servo power.

I know it's strange to pack around that much extra weight, but it's kind of a paranoia thing.

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

I used 2x 2000mAh packs on Giger, but I had well over an hour of active runtime. Far too much for competition purposes.

I'd suggest only using one 2100mAh pack personally, you only need 12 minutes of runtime for Mech Warfare. We keep this time limit in place because we know robots will be packing a payload for the actual weaponry and scoring system as well, so it keeps battery requirements down.

Images

Last weekend I was considering purchasing 4 (four) smaller LiPos like this one:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Power-RC-Lithium-Battery/dp/B001TLWREQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278730858&sr=8-5"]Thunder Power RC Pro Lite V2 910mAh 11.1V 3 Cell Li Poly 3s 910 Lithium Battery[/ame]

and then placing them on each leg. But after about an hour of considering pros/cons I just went with purchasing earlier mentioned $49 11.1V 2200mAH $49 11.1V 2200mAH on this site.

And you know what was my main reason? To keep our platforms at least semi-standard.
    That's why I also bought bioloid comprehensive.
    And FitPC2, even though I also have a Noikia N900 (kind of equivalent of BeagleBoard and GumStix).

It also helps that I happen to agree that this configuration gives the most long-term bang for the money today.
    Last edited by RobotAtlas; 07-10-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Images

I feel like I haven't dont much of anything with my mech for a while. It is a disappointment to myself. But I did do a little work this weekend. I have a Trendnet camera coming in soon and I got in my black Rit dye. I went to work with that stuff right away. I followed Tyberius' tutorial on here, but used the powder dye instead of the liquid. It worked great. One box was plenty for dying the brackets. I left them in simmering dye/water mix for about 25 minutes. They came out a perfect black color, its maybe a little darker than the AX-12 servos. But looks so nice. I personally think the black looks amazing compared to the white, but it is good that they come in white, so you could dye them any color you would want. I dyed enough pieces to construct the legs for my Quad Mech, plus a few more for putting together a turret. I took some pictures and will share the product of the dying with everyone.

Attachment 2000
    Attachment 2001
    Attachment 2002

Images

Its been about a week again since I have posted about my progress. After dying my brackets, I have received a few pieces that are really amazing. I now have a custom chassis and tibias. I really love the look. Although I will be creating my own chassis down the line to suit a pan servo to connect the torso of my mech. But, this is a really good start. I also put it all together as you can see in the pictures, I ran it through the NUKE program again, and got it up and running in no time. I will play around with the NUKE optimizing and such this week to get it going at a speed I like, also might try out the amble gait. But I have a short video of it running as well.

I know it looks incredibly stupid with the white brackets that stick out the back. I just needed a way to connect my power source since I dont have a battery yet. So I just used a few undyed brackets and connected the USB bioloid bus board to use the power brick. So yes, it does have a white tail hanging off its butt. It wont be there at the final product though.

Attachment 2024

Attachment 2025

Images

great to see this mech come off the screen and into the real world. Great work.

can't wait to see you in the arena!

Thread Information