Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Draco 08 - Quad Mech

Images

Re: Quad Mech

I have done a little bit more both design-wise and physically with my mech. I changed the gait off of the ripple to amble, which is a lot nicer for this type of quad, and boosted the speed up to 2x times. Inxfergy advised these changes. Tyberius let me onto some code to use to optimize the Quads movements as well. So I will be implementing that soon also. I will probably take some more pictures and a video this week or next weekend if I can't get to it until then.

I then designed on Inventor pretty much what I want the Mech to look like. It is just my thoughts though, and will have to see how the design vs. budget really holds up. It is going to be done in pretty much all plastic. I will probably be getting those cut by bigbluesaw.com in the near future. There are some brackets which I don't think you can see (that hold the plates of the torso together) from the outside view which will be done in aluminum but I already bought a sheet of that, and have a metal shop where I can cut them out and drill holes on my own. Overall, the design is pretty much done. I do have to figure out a few more areas like the guns, hit panels, some electronics. I would think some people may think my Mech is not going to end up like this, and I'm sure it won't be exactly. But I don't come from a robotics, electronics, or programming background. I am doing the stuff that I know how to do best - creating things and the aesthetics. I get a lot of help with the other parts and slowly learn from what I am told. So I hope I can make what I have designed. Here are a few pictures of the design close to being finished.

Attachment 2033

Attachment 2034

Images

I like the concept. It has kind of a Leonardo DaVinci / steampunk vibe going on.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

One word of caution: plan your target plate mounts now! I'm not sure where you're planning to mount your 4 plates, but make sure you leave a space for them, and design the aesthetics around them so they don't look just plopped on there....

-Fergs

Images

I was either thinking about having them all placed low around the chassis between each of the legs. Or having the front/rear/right attached in a box style like "Warchild" and then the left connected to the gun mount on the left side.

Images

I have recently done a little bit more work. Made the aluminum brackets which I will need for my Mech. Got a sheet of aluminum, I believe 5052. Drilled all the mounting holes with a nice big drill press. Unfortunately, the band saw was broken at the machine shop, so I had to cut each bracket out with a rotary tool. Cleaned them all up, and then bent them to the specified angles. I think they came out pretty well. They are not professionally done by any means, but will do. I will probably spray them black also in the future, even though they will be inside the Mech's body, still don't want the cuts and scratches on the brackets to standout. I took a few shots of them. You can see them at the bottom.

I think I am also done with the design of the Mech. I think I will be getting the plastic parts laser cut maybe this week. Fingers crossed to hopefully having everything planned out how I want it.

Attachment 2039

Attachment 2040

Attachment 2041

Images

I also had a question on the laser cutting of parts at bigbluesaw.com. I was thinking about using the Acetal Black Plastic 0.125" for the chassis plates and more of the load bearing plastics pieces. I wouldn't need to dye that plastic then since its already black. Then for the non-load bearing pieces like the walls and small pieces I was going to use the PETG Clear Plastic 0.0938" or 0.125". Would the clear plastic be dyable? I wanted to get that since some pieces I would like to make black, and some pieces of a different color. If you have any answers about that, or info about my choices of plastic, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Erik

Images

You can't dye pet-g, as the heat required to dye it would curl it into a plastic ball. It does take paint very well though, and is scratch resistant if you paint the inside. Lexan paint for r/c car bodies has the added benefit of flexing with the material and not flaking off as standard paint would tend to do.

Images

Ahh. Thanks for letting me know. I might have to change my choice then. I would really like to have them dyed and not worry so much about paint. Thanks again for the quick response so I can choose appropriately.

Images

How about the Polypropylene White Plastic? Would that be dyable?? That one is also not too thick, and comes in white, so I would be able to choose other colors to dye, if it will take the dye and not shrink up or melt? Manny, if you know about that one, let me know.

Images

A little more progress this week. Been asking a lot of people a lot of questions. Talked to the guy at Big Blue Saw, have my pieces ready to get cut. I have also come up with a way to attach the target plates on the non-gun side. I think I should be able to have a physical creation within a few weeks. Not totally operational yet, but will get it assembled soon, I think and hope. I have a picture posted of what the final assembly should look like.

Attachment 2054

I have been thinking of a checklist of things I still need to get done before it is totally complete. Please help me fill in any missing pieces if you believe there is. Or if you have any input on the pieces for which type, brand, etc. to buy, all is welcome advice.

-Buy Lipo battery and charger
    -Buy SMPS2Dynamixel adapter
    -Breakdown Trendnet camera
    -Buy Target Panels
    -Buy Hardware (screws and standoffs)
    -Adjust walking gaits
    -Program pan and tilt
    -Buy PS3 controller
    -Program control
    -Buy Tank guns
    -Design/Create gun brackets
    -Design/Create Hoppers
    -Program Firing

These are in no specific order by the way. It was just created as a train of thought, writing down what came to me. Please give me more advice/ideas/comments/suggestions. I am still new at this and plan on asking a lot of questions as time goes on.

Erik

Thread Information