Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robard Instalation Problems

1. Robard Instalation Problems

I am currently trying Install Linux into my Roboard. I have currently run out of ideas in how to install. My first major attempt have tried fallowing debian installation PDF that used to be on http://www.roboard.com/download_ml.htm website. I fallowed the instructions and installed new debian kernel, when I load after installation I can only see the grub loader. I have tried many commands but could never get past the loader. I have tried Installing Ubuntu and have failed on that point. I have also tried installing XP fallowing the http://www.roboard.com/Files/RB-100/...0XP_RB-100.pdf guide, this was unsuccessful. (Although it was fun learning how to remove the grub loader from the memory stick.) I have also tried 3 different memory sticks to eliminate that possibility. When I contacted Roboard support, they issued me a ghost file. I used Norton ghost to install the file into to the micro SD card. I verified that the files where on the SD card but the Roboard would not recognize the SD card. I am at a loss on what to do. Is there any ideas on what to do to solve this problem?

Images

Re: Robard Instalation Problems

Don't really have any pointers, except, have you seen the very detailed step-by-step install instructions in the tutorial section of this forum? There might be some extra information there.

-Fergs

Images

What size SD card are you using?

4. Re: Robard Instalation Problems

I have tried a 4 GB, 8 GB and 16 GB micro SD. each from different manufacturers. The Install forum notes was very helpful to get to where I see the problem (they where the second ones I tried). When using Linux i can see the grub loader so I know the SD card can be read. its just that it hangs in the grub loader. I'm not the best with non-standard operating system Kernels, but the steps where fallowed precisely. Even the ghost file from the manufacture should of worked. I have been starting to wonder if there might be another problem? Or if its time to try another micro-controller? It has been almost a year of scratching my head, sending emails, and out sourcing computer techs. I like the board and its capabilities, just hate the first hurdle.

Images

You probably aren't going to have any luck with larger ones, I've never been able to get anything larger than a 2gb card to work. Try a 1 or 2gb card, the SD isn't really intended to be a storage device, rather just a boot drive.

6. Re: Robard Instalation Problems

the debain ghost file I receved from Roboard was 4 GB's.

Images

That's weird, I know it's pretty picky on what type of cards it uses. Personally, I've not had luck with anything larger than 2gb. I can ask my contact at Roboard to weigh in on this tomorrow though.

8. Re: Robard Instalation Problems

Thank you... I may have had trouble finding a supported model

9. Re: Robard Instalation Problems

I gave up on the linux install and spent 2 months on the XP install... I don't know why it took me so long. The last 8 attempts where completed the same with the same data but only the last one succeeded.

The new install tutorial on roboard website was very helpful ( http://www.roboard.com/Files/RB-100/XP_RB100_Guide.zip )

While working on it I noticed that XP SP2 will not work with this installation. Out of my 5 tries with SP2 I found it hangs in the Location Setting window. Well more like it turns the USB off some point before that and you cant continue past that point. I did not have that problem with SP3.

Well I finally have something to work with now. Thanks everyone for your help.

10. Re: Robard Instalation Problems

I was able to install XP onto a 8 GB SDHC card. So it is possible for XP. Roboard's website just says any capacity.

Thread Information