Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

Images

Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

Alright Ladies & Gentlemen, here is the deal.

Since Mech Warfare started, a large portion of the costs of organizing it and materials for building the arena and/or scoring equipment has come out of Mike and my own pocket. We have had help along the way from Trossen Robotics, Big Blue Saw, Robogames, Che Edoga (our own darkback2), Billy (aka Connor), and sponsors here and there as well. Last year, we were lucky enough to have valuable labor, materials, & expertise donated to us by Fon Davis & his company Fonco Creative and had Robogames cover some of the arena materials cost. The issue is, with each year we're seeing an increase in cost to setup and run the event.

A big cost factor is the arena itself, as it's basically built to be disposable each year since the cost of storage would be roughly the same as the cost of building it.

We have a solution to this however- Fon Davis has offered to help us with our arena design once again and this time it will be built in a permanent, reusable fashion. We're going to have the buildings cast out of a modeling grade urethane and built in such a way that they can be broken down and rebuilt in a matter of minutes- and reusable for years to come. No more repainting or having to build structural components to hold the buildings up. The walls will snap together and we can then drop a rooftop on each building. We also will have the option for sugar-glass panes for windows that actually shatter and are totally replaceable.

The catch? While it will be awesome to have sturdy reusable buildings for the future years of our competition, the cost of materials will be even greater. Fon is kind enough to donate free labor in designing and building the molds, casting the panels, and detailing the exterior- but the cost of materials alone for 4 buildings is going to be close to $1,000 USD, so that's what I'm setting our goal at. This is not including the cost of a dedicated Wifi router setup I will be purchasing for the event, the frame-work, disposable flooring, promotional material etc.

So, I'm going to start asking for donations from the community, as well as pitching it to a few more sponsors. Mech Warfare is not a legal entity (yet) so I can't really write you a donation receipt or anything along those lines, but I can assure you that the money will be put to good use. I'm going to be totally transparent in how much money I've raised for this, but for privacy reasons will not be divulging how much was donated by a particular person. If you would allow it, I will list any persons or companies that have made donations, as well as provide linking/logos on the sponsors page of our mech warfare site.

If we reach $1,000, fantastic! If not, I'll cover any remaining difference (up to the full amount) out of pocket. If we end up getting even more? All of that money will be put into furthering the event and making it even better. For the sake of full transparency, I will be more than happy to provide receipts of all items purchased for the event. Meaning- you will know how the donation money is being spent. I'm not trying to get rich here, none of the money donated will be for personal profit. If you have any question of my integrity, feel free to PM any of the members of this forum that have been around for a bit and ask them what they think of me, I'm sure most will vouch that my intentions are good here. I've ended up spending a very good amount of money over the last 2.5 years and have no business model nor intention with Mech Warfare to turn a profit, it's more or less a labor of love. Even a few dollars can help the cause!

Donations to Mech Warfare can be sent via paypal to: [email protected] or click here

PLEASE clearly mark in the subject line: "Donation for Mech Warfare". I would like to keep clear records of who has donated what, and hope to do something special for those who contribute.

I want to emphasize that Fon Davis & company donated a SERIOUS amount of labor and money out of pocket for last years arena + dressings to look as great as it did. Not only were they onsite for hours building our arena, they put in considerable prep time making molds and pouring cast plaster sides + tons of intricately detailed models.

He's slated to put in even more labor and materials this year, which is why I'm accepting donations to fund the permanent/reusable buildings. I'm going to be drop shipping the raw materials directly to his studio and also flying out sometime this upcoming spring to lend a hand.

SO! If you'd like to also support Fon Davis, check out his pet project MORAV, and pick up his new Graphic Novel, MORAV: The History of Robotic Warfare on Amazon ! If you love giant robots, mech-mayhem, and things blowing up, you'll love his Morav project!
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 08-12-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Re: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

About how many individuals participated in Mech-Warfare for RG2010?

Images

Individuals? We had 20+ total, not sure on the final count.

Ok, thanks. I have to get some funds into paypal but I'll send you a few bucks for the cause as soon as they're available.

Images

I want to emphasize that Fon Davis & company donated a SERIOUS amount of labor and money out of pocket for last years arena + dressings to look as great as it did. Not only were they onsite for hours building our arena, they put in considerable prep time making molds and pouring cast plaster sides + tons of intricately detailed models.

He's slated to put in even more labor and materials this year, which is why I'm accepting donations to fund the permanent/reusable buildings. I'm going to be drop shipping the raw materials directly to his studio and also flying out sometime this upcoming spring to lend a hand.

SO! If you'd like to also support Fon Davis, check out his pet project MORAV, and pick up his new Graphic Novel, MORAV: The History of Robotic Warfare MORAV: The History of Robotic Warfare! If you love giant robots, mech-mayhem, and things blowing up, you'll love his Morav project!
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 08-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Images

I take it any size donation is acceptable? Goodness knows I don't have much (and subsequently probably won't make it out to Robogames this year unless they decide to host it in New England), but I believe in the spirit of the event and will happily cut a portion of this weeks paycheck to help out...

Images

Even a dollar helps!

Thanks everyone for your contributions so far! We're up to just shy of $300 already!

Images

Updated the paypal address to: [email protected]

Thanks for the donations everyone! They keep rolling in! At the $400 mark now!

Images

Question Re: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious: did we ever hit the 1000 dollar goal? Or did we stall out around 400?

If we haven't met the goal yet are you still accepting donations for this?
    -parallax

Images

Were currently at $552.65 (paypal takes a cut on credit card donations). We're still accepting donations, however I have an idea or two that might boost them. Fon is tied up with a project so we still have about 2 months or so before he can start work on this. If we fall short of 1k I'll just cover the remaining balance, so we'll get it done regardless.

Thread Information