Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

Images

Re: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

I got my copy of MORAV in yesterday's mail. Planned on reading it during a trip today, but finished it last night cause I couldn't put it down. Really fun read. The story is rich and the character development is strong. I payed $17 for it, and you can get it for 12 on Amazon. Well worth it in my opinion. I especially found it inspiring for anyone participating in mech warfare. I would love to see some MORAV styled mechs walking around the cityscape. If only I had the money I would be all over it.

In anycase, check it out:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/MORAV-Multi-Operational-Robotic-Armored-Vehicle/dp/1608870111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287265212&sr=8-1"]MORAV[/ame]

And be sure to donate to Mech Warfare!

DB

Images

Same thing for me DB. I just got my copy of MORAV last night from Amazon. Just wouldn't put it down until I finished it.

And now I want to build my own! I think that will be my project next year. I am going to plan on making the X1 with the lynxmotion J5 tracked base. But then put guns on it! Thats my plan at least.

Fon Davis did a great job with this. I want more chapters!

Images

Just wanted to give an update on this, we're up to about $650 in donations so far! Total cost on the new arena will likely be around $1200, but as I said I'll cover the difference. I'm actually going to fly out to California and give Fon a hand in getting these buildings finished after the holidays.

Thanks SO much to everyone who has donated!

Images

Update:

We ended up netting around $850 total in donations, I covered the rest of the cost and recently purchased 10 gallons of modeling grade polyurethane. I'm going to be flying out to the Bay area for a weekend in Febuary to work with Fon Davis on getting the permanent building facades poured and painted. If there is anyone in the area that would like to come help, any and all help would be appreciated! There's a LOT of labor involved, and you'd get a chance to see the very cool studio of a professional hollywood SFX/Model maker. Our goal has been met though! Thanks again to all that donated.

I'll be covering the cost of a permanent router/scoring server solution out of pocket, no need to generate finances for that.

This leads us to the next objective:

My plan is to create an arena frame that uses 80/20 aluminum framing. Using this method of construction will allow us to modularize the arena and be able to break it down to a compact 'storage ready' size, and ultimately provide us with the ability to install plexiglass siding and get an 'armored' arena should we move to using heavier weapons in the hardcore league. This is going to be quite an undertaking in cost, roughly $2000 total, so I'm going to try a few avenues to generate some additional income for our competition. More information soon.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 01-06-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    ...so I'm going to try a few avenues to generate some additional income for our competition...
    Heh...just don't start working those street corners.
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned. Axiom Robotics

I should be up in the area from mid-January to mid-March, or there abouts; just post more details when you get them please.

Paul

Images

I wish I could be there to help, with all that you guys have done for me.

I'm finally back up in Monterey, but I may be only staying for three weeks at a time - driving back down to near LA for a week or two in between, so hopefully I'll be up here when you're ready to go out to S.F.

Paul

Images

Okay guys, here's the deal. The current plan is to completely revamp our arena into a modular, lexan and aluminum frame arena. We're going to be using 80/20 aluminum to keep things sturdy, and most importantly modular and easily built/broken down. The problem is that this is a very expensive route to go, but it will mean we will have a permanent arena frame for use in the next 5 years. It also will enable us to host Hardcore ruleset games within the same arena- no more cramping into the tiny ant-weight arena.

I've started a Kickstarter here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/979852762/help-us-build-a-mech-warfare-robot-arena

If you are able to contribute, it'd be much appreciated. A big push of funding at the beginning will go a long way, and help get us featured on the front page. Also, if you know of any local companies or anyone interested in helping out, please spread the word.

Successfully funding this will solidify our 'infrastructure' considerably, making future years competitions much easier and allows us to focus on growing the competition in other ways.

10. Re: Funding/Donation for Mech Warfare

Good luck with the Kickstarter. We just posted our pledge.
    Looking forward to robogames we are building a mech and bringing our team of students to compete. Our team page is here:
    http://rollingrobots.com/summer-camp...cs-competition

Thread Information