Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new 17 DOF kung fu fighter, "Musa"

Images

My new 17 DOF kung fu fighter, "Musa"

I picked up a used Bioloid Comprehensive kit a few months ago. I promptly built the standard humanoid configuration and was immediately unhappy. The 9.6V pack supplied was underpowered to drive the servos, the original software was junk, and the torso was too difficult to assemble and inaccessible once you did. So it sat on the shelf a while.

But with the inspiration of YouTube and the numerous RoboOne competitors featured there, I started brainstorming. I picked the best features from my favorite bots, JO-Zero, Melissa, and the new Robotis GP. I now give you "Musa" (warrior in Korean). He features 10 DOF in the legs. I removed the hip rotate servos. There are 6 DOF in the arms, with them being mounted in the style of the new GP. And finally a servo in the waist for rotation. The AX-S1 is mounted but not hooked up.

I am using an Arbotix robocontroller tethered via FTDI cable to my Windows 7 desktop, running Mike Ferguson's Pypose software and powered by the SMPS power supply that came with the Bioloid kit.

More pictures available here.
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ga...imageuser=2840

I like that Musa is lightweight and nimble. Soon, I'll be getting the pair of XBee modules and a 3S Lipo pack to cut him free from my desktop. The only weakness I see is the mounting of the waist servo. The one horn and four S1 screws are the only thing connecting the legs to the shoulders and time will tell how long that joint will last.

Images

Re: My new 17 DOF kung fu fighter, "Musa"

> the original software was junkthe original software was junk

Have you tried the latest RoboPlus (1.0.18)? It's pretty good IMHO and freely available on the web.

You are one of the people who's coming from Hitec to Dynamixel, right?
    What are you imressions with the new servos so far? Did you make the right move?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    > the original software was junkthe original software was junk

Have you tried the latest RoboPlus (1.0.18)? It's pretty good IMHO and freely available on the web.

You are one of the people who's coming from Hitec to Dynamixel, right?
    What are you imressions with the new servos so far? Did you make the right move?
    Oh I've tried it and it's leaps and bounds better! But I wanted more flexibility in my controller beyond the original CM-5. And yes, this my first Dynamixel based bot, coming from Hitec in my previous two robots, Clyde and Warchild. There are still improvements to be made with Warchild and he's not yet retired, but that's for another thread.

As for the new servos, they are worth every bit of the praise heaped upon them. I'm typically a wait-and-see kinda guy but I don't regret the purchase, although in my book, the RX-24F looks like even more bang for the buck.

Images

It looks like many people are saying it about RX-24F lately. Good thing Arbotix has an RX bridge, so for a couple of hundred bucks you can easily upgrade, say, knee servos.

Images

Some video. Sorry 'bout the quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4uQWhr4D0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4uQWhr4D0[/ame]

Images

I really like it. Especially the stand up sequence. Looks more human-like than most kung-fu bots where they flip up their back some zombie-esque way. Very cool.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    It looks like many people are saying it about RX-24F lately. Good thing Arbotix has an RX bridge, so for a couple of hundred bucks you can easily upgrade, say, knee servos.
    Unfortunately the bridge will not allow you to use both ax and rx servos simultaneously. If you were to say upgrade the knee servos and use the bridge the knees would be the only thing to work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mannyr7 View Post
    The only weakness I see is the mounting of the waist servo. The one horn and four S1 screws are the only thing connecting the legs to the shoulders and time will tell how long that joint will last.
    That's all Odin had, in fact, he had 4 or so spacers and longer screws into the servo horn.. You saw how many times he fell during RG10. It held up really well.. and Odin is very top heavy..

Thanks, Connor.

Awesome work!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by elaughlin View Post
    I really like it. Especially the stand up sequence. Looks more human-like than most kung-fu bots where they flip up their back some zombie-esque way. Very cool.
    +1

I was cracking up when you used the term "zombie-esque!" So true!

Manny, your bot looks GREAT! I've been re-thinking about my Bioloid lately too. I really hate the balance (or lack of) of this bot. How high the battery pack were.

Your MUSA looks very balanced... It looks very stable, even with these little Bioloid feets...

---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Thread Information