Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MosquitIO desktop turret

1. Re: MosquitIO desktop turret

Quote Originally Posted by draikani View Post
    Just got mine in the mail today. Put it together no problem, instructions were very clear. I'm not really sure what the next step is though. I assume the nifty looking control panel on the item's page is the python app? So I have to download python and run that app? If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I'm running OSX 10.6

Thanks!
    So dumb question for you.. when you first powered it on, did you servos both immediately start to move?

I needed slightly stronger servos, so i swapped in some HS-5645MGs that were laying around.. which happened to also have been modified for continuous.. so not sure if thats related, but as soon as i applied power it would just spin endlessly. not sure what the default code on the arduino is typically configured to do. (and im a noob at this in general)

Images

Re: MosquitIO desktop turret

That's probably the analog mode kicking in, it happens if you touch the pins and it's not receiving serial data. As soon as it receives a command it will kick out of analog mode. These come preprogrammed (I'd suggest checking the manual, it explains the modes and firmware)

3. Re: MosquitIO desktop turret

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    That's probably the analog mode kicking in, it happens if you touch the pins and it's not receiving serial data. As soon as it receives a command it will kick out of analog mode. These come preprogrammed (I'd suggest checking the manual, it explains the modes and firmware)
    Thanks, I'll take a look. I must have misplaced the manual, didn't notice one with the kit, just the links on the instructions to build the actual unit. Will hunt tonight!

Thanks

Images

All the documentation is provided on the product page down in the section full of links! =)

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/des...ot-turret.aspx

5. Re: MosquitIO desktop turret

Ok so I've downloaded the Arduino software, But when I go to my Arduino folder in my documents to add the board, the folder is empty. Now the Arduino folder says it has about 22Mb of stuff in it, I just can't see anything. Probably something simple but I'm stumped. All help is much appreciated, thanks guys

Images

Can I ask why you're messing with the Arduino IDE? Reason being is that the board, while it's open source firmware, is primarily intended to just be used with the default firmware. You send it commands via USB from your computer and it responds, etc. For 95%+ of all the users, the default firmware is more than enough.

The firmware was written by a pretty competent CS major, so unless you plan on rewriting all of it from scratch there isn't much use to diving into that. Those that choose to reprogram it are generally pretty experienced with the Arduino IDE and language.

As to your question- where did you install the root arduino folder? It should be over 100 megs or so, on some computers that is where you need to add the board.

7. Re: MosquitIO desktop turret

Yes, the default software is fantastic. I'm definitely not trying to improve upon the current software. I was planning to use this board to control my other projects in place of buying something more expensive, and I can always just reload the default firmware right? For now at least, the board seems well suited to a small rover or some such. From your reply though, it seems like thats maybe just not what this board is intended for?

The actual Arduino application is just under 200 megs, the Arduino folder in documents is just over 20 megs, but seems empty when I open it.
    Last edited by draikani; 11-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Thread Information