Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: More Mule then Rover?

Re: More Mule then Rover?

I like the view from the "Mule Cam"

What you need are tracks! After a search for Snow blower tracks this came up.

http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ima...0500/i829.html

They are made by Ariens.

You should call Ariens ask nicely and say you will put an Ariens sticker on the side. And they might give you a set.

I gottn many free thing just by making a phone call and explainning what im doing and offer to put there name on it.

3. Re: More Mule then Rover?

Quote Originally Posted by jdolecki View Post
    What you need are tracks! After a search for Snow blower tracks this came up.

http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ima...0500/i829.html
    nice project, i agree with jdolecki, tracks would be nice on there.

very interesting link, i've thought about tracks for my project for a while, but now that i've gone 2wd not going back to tank steering.

What you need are tracks!
    i agree with jdolecki
    I would also, if, I had to ever go outside to get the Mule unstuck, or if the Mule didn't
    have to start mowing grass again this summer.

tracks would do a lot of damage to the lawn.

While yes the Mule got spanked by that last snow storm, it did teach me a few things.

1) Need more weight. (added 140lb of sand to test how much weight is needed)

2) Theres only so much a 50" plow can do, a snow blower can deal with 5ft drifts.
    I'v seen 24Vdc snow blows, but they are very small. I'd need a 40" electric snow blower.

the other option is plow when under 8", in last snow it would needed plowing every 2hrs.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy_T; 02-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Didi you see this one? Came up on the Parallax fourms

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tPg1ZMiC9pA

As the Mule gets heavier(added 200lb of sand as ballast) and the Mule gets farther away
    from home (over 450ft), I get to thinking "what if", while I have programed it to stop if WiFi
    is lost(ping the base Pc each second), and if the PC shuts down the drives do go into fault,
    and the Mule has never runaway(yet this winter),as I start to venture farther it's harder to have that
    warm&fuzzy feeling I love so much with all the what ifs.

So I added a remote Mule shutdown button.

I got a Cobra microTalk GMRS Walkie Talkie from Walmart that listed a 20 mile range(tested at 2 Miles
    non-line of sight, Sweet!). I stopped at Staples and got one of them "Thats Easy" buttons (seemed cute)
    which I wired to one of the Cobra's call buttons. From RadioShack I got a SPDT 5V micromini
    relay and a 1000uf cap. the relay when energized sends the Mules drives into fault.

A long range remote warm and fuzzy feeling for under $50, is a sweet thing.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy_T; 02-21-2011 at 07:27 AM.

8. Re: More Mule then Rover?

Hi all, new here. Very good material, I like the Mule, it's cool and very advanced compared to my mower project. It's RC operated at present. I will be adding a camera and a Sabertooth 2x50 soon. I also plan to try to make my project a multitasting machine with autonomous operation. I've experimented with building my own motor driver but had too many problems blowing the mosfets. I will be looking @ the Ardupilot as it may be useful, anyway maybe I can post some useful info here.
    Good job on the mule.
    Last edited by Pabble; 03-07-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Peep this out tommy just got off craigslist. Friendlly Robotics Mowbot.

Will take the cover off this weekend and post more pictures.

Sabertooth 2x50 soon
    Pabble, I also would like to try a 2X50, I did try a 2X25 only because everyone was out of the 2X50's,
    but after burning up two of them, which they replaced at no cost(other then shipping) I stayed with
    a P&G drive I had. any way sweet work on your lawn mower.

Peep this out
    Sweet find jdolecki!, one of them would be hours of fun to play with. If I had one now(in the winter) I'm
    sure I would run the perimeter wire around my living room to test it out.

like both of you my mind is turning to lawn mowing again(stopped at three different places looking
    at reel type mowers) in fact I must have been thinking this winter was done teaching me things, but
    just the other day we got a little snow(3 to 4") I sent the Mule out at 290lb without a thought, but
    soon had to return home to add more weight(added 140lb) because the snow was so wet.

Tommy

Thread Information