Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stanford, CA USA
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    48

    Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    I am planning on upgrading the base on my robot which currently uses standard differential two-wheel drive with a trailing caster wheel. I am tempted to try out an omnidirectional setup so I am curious if anyone has any recommendations. The only retail models I have found so far are from SuperDroids at:

    http://superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=61

    They don't seem to include a vectoring motor controller, but I found this one for a three-wheeled drive system:

    http://www.robotlogic.com/product_omx3.html

    Anyone have any experience with these or something else? Any thoughts?

    --patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Posts
    1,718
    Images
    456
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    http://www.andymark.biz/am-0732.html These were all the rage at FIRST Robotics last year. The bots that used them were whicked maneuverable. They also had code posted on chiefDelphi.com. Pretty pricy though.

    DB

  3. #3
    zoomkat Guest

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    The below bot is pretty interesting.

    http://letsmakerobots.com/node/11412

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stanford, CA USA
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    http://www.andymark.biz/am-0732.html These were all the rage at FIRST Robotics last year. The bots that used them were whicked maneuverable. They also had code posted on chiefDelphi.com. Pretty pricy though.

    DB
    Thanks--that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

    --patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    The RoboCup SmallSize and MidSize leagues use omnidirectional (and especially Mecanum) wheel setups since years. So searching for stuff like "mecanum robocup" or "robocup omnidirectional" will get you quite a lot of papers on a broad range of design, control etc. issues involving them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stanford, CA USA
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Thanks--I will do some searching on these keywords. I am mostly interested in something prefabricated and ready to go such as this:

    http://www.andymark.biz/am-0666.html


    Then I would use something like this:

    http://www.robotlogic.com/product_omx3.html

    to do the control.
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Images
    155
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Are you planning to use any of the ROS navigation stack on this bot? Just a thought if you are -- omni bases like that are probably not going to have the odometry required to make the nav stack really work.

    -Fergs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stanford, CA USA
    Posts
    590
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    Are you planning to use any of the ROS navigation stack on this bot? Just a thought if you are -- omni bases like that are probably not going to have the odometry required to make the nav stack really work.

    -Fergs
    Good point. Yeah, I certainly would like to at least explore the navigation stack so perhaps I'll stick with differential drive for now. I have some potential funding to upgrade the base on Pi Robot so I and I have been considering the Videre ERA MOBI. But it also occurred to me that an omnidirectional drive could be very useful which is why I started thinking along those lines. (I have a Rovio and the omni-motions are really very cool.) I understand the PR2 has a four wheel omni-drive that works by turning each wheel. Perhaps that would be another way to go?

    --patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,228
    Images
    155
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pi Robot View Post
    Good point. Yeah, I certainly would like to at least explore the navigation stack so perhaps I'll stick with differential drive for now. I have some potential funding to upgrade the base on Pi Robot so I and I have been considering the Videre ERA MOBI. But it also occurred to me that an omnidirectional drive could be very useful which is why I started thinking along those lines. (I have a Rovio and the omni-motions are really very cool.) I understand the PR2 has a four wheel omni-drive that works by turning each wheel. Perhaps that would be another way to go?

    --patrick
    Yep, that's how the PR2 does it (with odometry still working). University of Bonn also has a platform using similar kinematics: http://www.hizook.com/blog/2010/08/0...namixel-servos

    Honestly, that 4-wheel omni base is *the* holy grail of mobile bases. I'd eventually like to build something using kinematics like that (but for less than the $10k-100k most of them currently are running)

    -Fergs

  10. #10
    zoomkat Guest

    Re: Anyone using omnidirectional drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    Honestly, that 4-wheel omni base is *the* holy grail of mobile bases. I'd eventually like to build something using kinematics like that (but for less than the $10k-100k most of them currently are running)
    Would be interesting to see how closely the base drive could be duplicated using ~simple and inexpensive methods.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quietest drive system.
    By kaos116 in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
  2. FlexiForce Drive Circuit: Power Supply
    By bioeng in forum Sensors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 02:28 AM
  3. "ALMower" [was: Robotic Lawn Mower]
    By revoltage in forum Robotics General Discussion
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 08:06 AM
  4. Discussion Indirect drive for joints
    By kdwyer in forum Mechanics / Construction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
  5. Contest Entry Competetive robotics drive base
    By Ironspork in forum Project Showcase
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •