Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my own spin on the Phantom X

1. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    No. You're not going to run OpenCV on the ArbotiX -- or anything but an Intel based PC. What you can do is run OpenCV on a laptop/PC and then use the ArbotiX to interface the laptop/PC to your servos and other hardware. This is exactly what that demo of the PhantomX is doing -- except with roborealm on the PC rather than OpenCV. You would communicate with the ArbotiX over a serial port connection from your PC-side program (hence Adrenalynn's comment that dotNet can open serial port).

-Fergs
    that's exactly what I told the Arduino people! well thanks for the useful information, so far you guys have helped a ton and I can't wait to get started on my project

2. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

I have one more question about the Arbotix boards that I can't find an answer for: can I use Arduino libraries and or source code on an Arbotix? if so what change(s) need to be made for it to work?

Images

Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

Quote Originally Posted by ahack3r View Post
    I have one more question about the Arbotix boards that I can't find an answer for: can I use Arduino libraries and or source code on an Arbotix? if so what change(s) need to be made for it to work?
    Depends on the library -- if it uses only the basic arduino interfaces (digitalWrite, digitalRead, etc) it should run fine. If it makes reference to registers -- it probably will require updates to work on the different AVR that the ArbotiX uses.

-Fergs

4. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

Depends on the library -- if it uses only the basic arduino interfaces (digitalWrite, digitalRead, etc) it should run fine. If it makes reference to registers -- it probably will require updates to work on the different AVR that the ArbotiX uses.

-Fergs
    and where would I obtain these specific updates?

Images

Here's looking at you kid.

Images

The core libraries (serial, twi, spi, etc) have been updated already -- they come with the ArbotiX downloads. Additionally, we publish the RoboController libraries for controlling specific hardware on the MINI and ArbotiX. Beyond that, if you want to use a custom third-party library, you'll need to look into the code to see if it needs changes, and then apply them yourself.

-Fergs

7. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

The core libraries (serial, twi, spi, etc) have been updated already -- they come with the ArbotiX downloads. Additionally, we publish the RoboController libraries for controlling specific hardware on the MINI and ArbotiX. Beyond that, if you want to use a custom third-party library, you'll need to look into the code to see if it needs changes, and then apply them yourself.

-Fergs
    awesome! thanks for the information, it will help tremendously.

8. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

sorry to resurrect a dead thread

I have two more questions:

1. when will the Visual C# .NET Sample Application & Source and Roborealm Colored Object Tracking Demo be posted? I would really like to have this documentation before purchasing.
    2. what webcams are compatible with the Arbotix and ROS? I will be using the OpenCV library.
    3. I will be using Ubuntu 10.10, what changes do I need to make?

thanks!
    Last edited by ahack3r; 11-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Images

when will the Visual C# .NET Sample Application & Source and Roborealm Colored Object Tracking Demo be posted? I would really like to have this documentation before purchasing.
    I can't answer this one as I'm not the developer -- but you might shoot an email to Alex at Trossen Robotics to find out.

what webcams are compatible with the Arbotix and ROS? I will be using the OpenCV library.
    The ArbotiX knows nothing about webcams, that's all handled up on a PC. Therefore, you're looking at what is supported by ROS or OpenCV. Any webcam that has decent V4L support should work under Linux.

I will be using Ubuntu 10.10, what changes do I need to make?
    Well, neither roborealm nor the C# code are going to work.... As for ROS, I'm not sure the status of the binaries for installation under 10.10 -- last I knew, they weren't complete for cturtle.

-Fergs

10. Re: my own spin on the Phantom X

I can't answer this one as I'm not the developer -- but you might shoot an email to Alex at Trossen Robotics to find out.

The ArbotiX knows nothing about webcams, that's all handled up on a PC. Therefore, you're looking at what is supported by ROS or OpenCV. Any webcam that has decent V4L support should work under Linux.

Well, neither roborealm nor the C# code are going to work.... As for ROS, I'm not sure the status of the binaries for installation under 10.10 -- last I knew, they weren't complete for cturtle.

-Fergs
    well...thanks for the webcam info I'm glad I haven't formatted my win7 partition yet!

Thread Information